Is changing a cold water tank a diy job?

My mate had a combi fitted in his loft. Took so long for hot water to reach is kitchen sink, they used to either wash up in cold water or boil a kettle.
I can imagine. If we move ours we’d put it in the bathroom
 
Depending on the mainsflow and site conditions I would be tempted to put a board over it for now and consider an unvented cylinder.

This summer loft temps have routinely been over 60 degrees. Perfect temp to grow bugs in the tank.

Stored water is looking a bad idea the way the climate is changing
 
Depending on the mainsflow and site conditions I would be tempted to put a board over it for now and consider an unvented cylinder.

This summer loft temps have routinely been over 60 degrees. Perfect temp to grow bugs in the tank.

Stored water is looking a bad idea the way the climate is changing

Defo into a new ice age in my house...
Served my purpose now the kids are grown up it would seem.
 
Depending on the mainsflow and site conditions I would be tempted to put a board over it for now and consider an unvented cylinder.

This summer loft temps have routinely been over 60 degrees. Perfect temp to grow bugs in the tank.

Stored water is looking a bad idea the way the climate is changing
Yes there’s that too. We’ll probably get a combi boiler instead. Question is whether to do it now or later. Existing one probably has a good 7 years left so need to think it through
 
Great diagram. Thanks , that’s really useful. It looks a lot more pro than the setup I am looking at which has an old lead pipe pointing into tank. The plastic bylaw 30 kit that comes with a new tank is that adequate?
Yes it will be fine, except it won't have the fitting for putting the 22mm vent pipe in through the top.
Many a plumber will heat the pipe so it melts a hole through the lid for itself. That's not strictly correct!

The diagram is from the water regs. I have a copy somewhere, this is the only one I could find online.
 
Yes it will be fine, except it won't have the fitting for putting the 22mm vent pipe in through the top.
Many a plumber will heat the pipe so it melts a hole through the lid for itself. That's not strictly correct!

The diagram is from the water regs. I have a copy somewhere, this is the only one I could find online.
Thank you, that's great.
 
Stored water is looking a bad idea the way the climate is changing
I don't follow this comment. Climate change may cause more frequent water shortages and hence outages of domestic water supplies. If that happens surely storing water in a loft mounted cold water storage cistern is going to be an advantage and not a "bad idea"?
 
I don't follow this comment. Climate change may cause more frequent water shortages and hence outages of domestic water supplies. If that happens surely storing water in a loft mounted cold water storage cistern is going to be an advantage and not a "bad idea"?
Nothing to do with shortages. Have you got a loft? Do you know how hot it gets up there in high summer? What do you think could happen when a tank of cold water gets warmed up? Stored water somewhere it’s not going to get warmed up enough for legionella to form is a good idea though.
 
Nothing to do with shortages. Have you got a loft? Do you know how hot it gets up there in high summer? What do you think could happen when a tank of cold water gets warmed up? Stored water somewhere it’s not going to get warmed up enough for legionella to form is a good idea though.

Break tank.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top