Is Click flooring a hard job to do yourself.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small hallway in my house which has plain floorboards down but I am considering fitting click flooring. It's about nine metres squared, I am considering doing it myself but I havn't done that type of job before (How hard is it to do yourself? What is involved?). If I got someone in to do it how much would they charge for fitting it excluding the cost of the click boards.

Sponsored Links
Hallway 9m2 I’d say approx £120-200 depending who you get.

But the OP says his hallway is 81m2. He shouldn't be worrying about being able to afford a pro installer if he lives in a house with a hallway that big.

Sponsored Links
Should be easy. Get a nice new sharp saw, keep everything clean as you go. Take your time.

"the OP says his hallway is 81m2"

It is a typo by the OP>>
....... small hallway ....... about nine metres square[d]

= 9m2

"the OP says his hallway is 81m2"

It is a typo by the OP>>
....... small hallway ....... about nine metres square[d]

= 9m2

Might be small compared to his neighbours and social circle. Everything is relative ;)

Thank you all for your comments, might buy a decent hand saw and have a crack if all else fails I will get someone in.

I have only done about 5 rooms with the click flooring. Some of the cheaper brands were a nightmare to work with. I had to assemble a whole 5m length and then try to bend it to meet the stuff already down.

With regards to the hallway, will you possibly need a jigsaw for any cut outs and an oscillating saw for cutting through door stops/liners. Additionally you will need a mitre block for cutting the scotia beading to hide the expansion gap and spacers/wedges to maintain the expansion gap whilst laying the floor.

Are the stairs carpeted? Does the carpet run down to the floor.

Do you have radiator pipes coming out of the floor? You may need a suitably sized holesaw/spade bit.

Sorry OP, I am not trying to discourage you but it might not be quite as straight forward as you assume.

Personally I wouldn't want to do one with a simple hand saw. If you do decide to use a jigsaw for the long cuts, turn the board upside down otherwise the up stroke of the jigsaw blade will chip the face edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back