Is fibreboard better than a spongey underlay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello wise folks!

The sales person at an internet retailer has suggested using fibreboard
under some engineered wood flooring on a suspended concrete floor with neighbours below. He said it:

"Has very good sound absorbtion properties, next product better is
timbermate silentfloor gold at almost twice the price and only 3 db
sound improvement"

Is there any reason not to go for this and choose timbermate Excel Underlay instead?

My floor has a few areas which are not perfectly level but my boards will be 189mm wide.

Thanks for any help offered

Sponsored Links
There's a lot of mambojambo around when talking about sound-insulation and how much different types of underlayment will reduce the sound.

What you have to keep in mind though is it's the combination of the underlayment, underfloor and floor type that creates the sound-reduction (or in other words reducing the acoustic noise level)

If your underfloor is level, your floor type is not the veneer type of engineered boards - thinner boards, say up to 10mm the Timbermate Excel 3.6mm will do the job fine.

The Timbermate Silentfloor Golden 4.2mm: "an effective solution to noisy wood or laminate flooring" - as per manufacturers own description.

Also, make sure your floor doesn't connect with any pipework, there's nothing that transport sounds as well as pipes!

Thanks for the reply, So fibreboard underlay is not a good idea, you think?

The floor is 20mm thick with a solid oak top layer

We never use fibreboard ourselves to be honest. Can't see the advantage over it.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking it is more economcal and easier to lay?

Could be, but like I said we don't use it and I thought you were asking for my opinion.
But if you think it's suitable and economic for your situation, go ahead.

Thanks, And I was asking for your opinion, but
We never use fibreboard ourselves to be honest. Can't see the advantage over it.
is not an opnion..
So I suggested 2 possible advantages here. Sorry if I caused offence.
Just wondered why you never use it.
Thanks again

You didn't cause offence.
Fiberboards are more cumbersum than the underlayment we use (which comes on roles and can be overlapped without causing 'gaps' in the DPM or create height differences)

There are other, more economical alternatives for Timbermate too.

Ok Thanks a lot, very helpful.
i think will go for timbermate Excel,
can i overlap that- dwith no need to tape it together?
There is one area of slightly differing levels, though, perhaps a thicker underlay woold be beter , like duralay, but it doesn't have a dpm, but do i need that on a 50 year old suspended concrete floor?
Thanks again, your advice really appreciated

Timbermate Excel comes with vapour tape, don't overlap the underlay itself.

As for slightly different levels, the Timbermate might be able to tackle that as long there are no 'sudden dips' in the floor.
Any floor can have a slight sloop before causing too much problems. 1 - 2 mm per meter is acceptable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back