Is gas cooker oven electrode a consumable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title, is the electrode and lead classed as a consumable or should it come under internal parts and under warranty etc?
The cooker is just over 18mths old, purchased via AO.com.
The plumber called to fit a thermocouple for me and said that the electrode-lead sheathing was damaged and was arcing where it shouldn't ie dangerous, do not use.

Sponsored Links
Although your contract is legally with AO, I guess they shoved you over to the manufacturer of the oven?

Regardless, you have up to 6 years of warranty with AO under UK law. If they start playing silly beggars, threaten to take them to the small claims court. it will cost them hundreds to send someone to represent themselves. If they don't send anyone, the judge will find in your favour. If they don't abide by the court's rulings they can be forced to cease trading, that ain't gonna happen though.

Best of luck

Although your contract is legally with AO, I guess they shoved you over to the manufacturer of the oven?

Regardless, you have up to 6 years of warranty with AO under UK law. If they start playing silly beggars, threaten to take them to the small claims court. it will cost them hundreds to send someone to represent themselves. If they don't send anyone, the judge will find in your favour. If they don't abide by the court's rulings they can be forced to cease trading, that ain't gonna happen though.

Best of luck
Thanks for the reply. Yes, in their automated message they said about speaking to the manufacturers. I waited on the line to speak to them for 18+ minutes before giving up.
Would you say that this would be a warranty item then, rather than a consumable? I'd have thought so personally.

I have used AO several times recently with stuff, and I’ve had no issues with them, in fact I rate their customer services. They will ask you to go to manufacturer in the 1st instance, but if you don’t get any joy, give them a call back, and just mention you expect it to last a reasonable amount of time, so yes I expect it under warranty.

Don’t start off on one, because like I said, good customer service with them, it’s the manufacturers who were no good to me.

Sponsored Links
In my lay opinion it is not a consumable. It's not like you interact with the component or that you abused it.

I would argue that the component was faulty at the point of sale, as is evidenced by its premature failure. It is not of merchantable quality.

As Chris says, be polite.

Thanks.
I've since had the plumber in and he said it was the spark plug and lead corroded (it wasn't igniting and said it was dangerous). So bought one. He has then said it is the oven thermostat. So, have now also bought one of these.
Pretty frustrated as by the time I've also paid for the plumber's three visits it must be up to almost the cost of the cooker!
I've managed to speak to AO. They have (so far) said that they will contract to the cost of the repairs but won't give a figure. Minimum of £50 they said. Big deal!
Looks like I've got a fight ahead of me :-/
Cheers again all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back