Wiring a cooker with gas hob with electric ignitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could someone help me out with this please.

I have bought a new electric cooker which has a power rating of 3870W. I have also purchased a new gas hob which has an electric ignitor. The hob has a flex already attached so I am assuming it only provides the power for the ignitor. The hob has some kW ratings on the nameplate but I am assuming that as these are quite high it is regarding the heating power of the gas rather than electric kW.

The oven can be wired with 2.5 T&E according to the manual which I am planning on connecting to the existing Cooker connection unit under the worktop. This is run in 6mm2 cable, do I need to change the 32A MCB to a 16A one in the consumer unit?
Also is it acceptable to run the ignitor flex to the cooker connection unit or should this be from it\\\'s own FCU?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
16A is ok, as long as there is no socket on the cooker control unit. If there is a socket, i suggest you replace it for one without.

Fit a socket or fused outlet next to the cooker connection plate, for the hob.

Thanks Crafty. Would I be better to go for a 20A MCB as the 16A is on the limit not taking diversity into account?

Is it acceptable to leave the MCB at 32A even though the current draw is around 16A on the cooker and use the socket for the ignitor or would it be best to do as previously mentioned, i.e. change MCB for 16A or 20A and have seperate connection for the ignitor?

Sponsored Links
Go for a 20 amp MCB, as the oven is 16.8 amps.

The oven's only protection is the MCB, so it must be sized for the oven. The amount of power drawn by that socket will only ever be a few watts, nobody's gonna pull out the oven to plug in the hoover or a heater are they?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back