Wiring Ignitor For Gas Hob?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a kitchen installed and I have forgotten to put in a point for the gas hob ignitor. I have an electric oven by the way. I was wondering would it be possible to take a spur off the cooker connection and run some 2.5 mm twin and earthed into a fused switch with a 3 amp fitted? Any help please ;)

Sponsored Links
I believe that the existing cable size, and size of the mcb are needed to advise on this.

Wokeye you should be fine with this. If only a single oven check the rating on it and if lee than 3kw this ought to be plugged into a socket or switched fused spur with 13a fuse.

Sponsored Links
This extract from one of my technical sheets:

Appendix 8 of the On-Site Guide advises that water heaters fitted to storage vessels in excess of 15 litres capacity are to be supplied by their own separate circuit.

However, other than the above, BS7671 allows additional equipment to be connected to a radial circuit supplying fixed or stationary equipment, providing the following conditions are met:

That the existing circuit is capable of supplying the total design current, i.e. that of the existing equipment plus that of the proposed equipment.

That the cable used to supply the proposed equipment on the circuit is suited to both that total design current and the rating of the fuse or MCB feeding that circuit.

That if necessary, provision is made for fusing down and any isolators required to comply with regulations are installed.

Although BS7671 allows this practice, engineers are advised to follow the guidance laid down by the NICEIC, namely that a radial circuit intended to supply fixed or stationary equipment should not supply any other load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back