Spur off cooker socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Is it OK to position a double 13 amp socket below worksurface level in the kitchen and get power to this by running a spur from the cooker socket. I'm fitting a built in single oven (1.85Kw) and also need power to gas hob for the ignitor.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You plug an appliance i.e toaster, kettle etc into the cooker socket at the moment.

Just taken the wall units down and found a few nastys. 10mm cable has been connected to 6mm cable with choc block 1ft down from the ceiling inside a 6" inch square metal box. This 6mm cable then goes horizontally along the wall for 2ft before coming down the wall into the cooker isolation switch. This cable is buried into the wall only where the back of the units touchthe wall! Nice job. :mad:

Can any one tell me how they would get power to a 1.8kw oven and ignition switch for a gas hob?

Sponsored Links
You only need a double 13A socket for that.
Just run the cooker circuit (in a safe zone) to a double socket somewhere that you can access to plug in the oven and the hob spark.

Thanks very much Taylortwocities.

I've lifted some floorboards above the kitchen, disconnected the 10mm cable from the choc block in the kitchen and pulled the cable up. I've then wired the 10mm cable to a 45amp junction box fitted to a noggin between the joists. I'm now going to run a cable from the junction box, down the kitchen wall to a CCU then down from that to a 13 amp double socket under worksurface level.

I do have three questions if you wouldn't mind answering.

1) What size cable should i use from the JB to the CCU and then to the double socket. (currently 6mm)

2) Do i need to use a CCU or would an FCU do the job?

3) Does the wiring set up I've described sound OK?

Thanks to anyone in advance for any advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back