Is hardwall plaster + skim more resistant than plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been totally disgusted with the way in which the dot and dabbed plasterboard in my house has been virtually destroyed when removing the tiles stuck to it. In the kitchen the difference has had to be made up with hardwall and multifinish plaster.

I wanted to know, out of interest, if a plaster finish is generally more resiliant to this experience? Once the paper surface of plasterboard is damaged the gypsum beneath just seems to crumble and fall out.

Sponsored Links
I wanted to know, out of interest, if a plaster finish is generally more resiliant to this experience?

You would have thought so.
From the Hardwall data sheet 'With a final coat of Thistle Multi-finish, it provides a smooth, inert, high quality surface to internal walls. The combination has superior impact resistance…'
The bond between the Hardwall and the wall is also likely to be better compared to plasterboard usually/sometimes fixed by dabs, I'd have thought this reason contributes also.

Im presuming that the plasterboard wasnt skimmed, just taped and joined?

Raw plasterboard can hold more weight than skimmed plasterboard (as in tiles, addy & grout)

Plasterboard is very rarely not estroyed when tiles are removed from it, it's expected and there are quicker ways of repairing it, for instance if you chop out the section of damaged plasterboard a new piece can be dabbed in its place, if this is to retile in the same place as before, quite often thats all that needs to be done. There are not alot of gypsum finished that wont be damaged by tile removal, more so if the tiling has been done well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back