Is it artex or just wallpaper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I have just bought a house and we would like to do some works, but we are both inexperienced.
One thing we would like to do is to remove the textured ceiling, and I have read that it might be dangerous if they are made of Artex produced before the mid 80's ( The house was built in the 30's , and some of the decorations have definitely a 70's look and feel ).
That said I am not sure whether is just wall paper, Artex or a combination of both ( if it's possible ). The pattern looks very much like the one on the wikipedia page ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artex ) but you can see somewhere the signs of sheets ( at least that's what they look like to me).
I have attached some pictures, in the first you can see the pattern, in the second there's the sign of what it seems to me a wallpaper, and the third shows a bit of the ceiling where the "wallpaper" came off.
do you know whether is artex or no? And if it isn't could you point me out on what's the best way to remove it ?
Thank you
andrea

Sponsored Links
Looks like wrinkled wallpaper to me, I'd rip a bubbly bit bit off and have a look. If it's wallpaper right enough, you'll probably need to cover the ceiling again anyway - either paper, or plaster/tape the joints, or maybe a new skim of plaster. Remember you can put new plasterboard over the whole area and tape the joints of it - which might not cost much more than a skim, and might look better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back