Is it bad flashing or bad bricks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Sorry but I've lost my old login name, so had to create a new one.

I have a bit of slate roof that comes up against the fascia at the front of the house. It was leaking when i bought the house two years ago, but painting the bricks and the tile and the slate in the area with Thompsons one coat water seal stopped it. The bad weather yesterday has brought it back (so i didn't fix it ;)

This is what it looks like from the outside. I have ringed the bit where the leak must be.

And here's the inside picture. I have again ringed where you can see that water has trickled down the brick work onto my (now wet) towel.

In your experience, is this a problem with the flashing (actually in the first photo I cannot see any lead, all i can see is an angled tile that connects the brick work over the slates) or is it a problem with leaky bricks?

Thanks a lot

Ol

Sponsored Links
You have a tile fillet not a flashing from what I can make out.

Tile fillets crack after a while and will let water penetrate behind the soakers (assuming you have them). Put a proper flashing there and check to see if you have soakers, if not have them installed too. Be good practice whilst there to coat the brickwork again but use a silicon based water-proofer not Thompsons (water based) which will give better protection

I completly agree the problem is with the fillet against the wall.

You should have the fillet removed fit new lead soakers and lead step flashing, also carry out repairs to cracked and broken slates in the same area.

Unfortunatly it will not a chop as you will require a scaffold to do the work safely.

Probably about £600

Wowzers, thanks a lot. £600 eh? And anything to do with flashing really means its not a DIY job too.

Big question: would replacing the fillet save the day for another 3-4 years? Or is it a no-no?

The building is 1900, would the fillets be from then, or are these more modern things?

Sponsored Links
On your picture there seems to be old mastic hanging from the top of your fillet which suggests that someone has tried to patch it before.

You could try puting more mastic along the top edge and the brickwork or going over the whole thing with new sand and cement but these would be fairly short term solutions.

Be carefull if you get up there with no scaffold.

Use the flexacryle its what it is made for, a temp solution for a diy'er clean of loose stuff first with wire brush then spread on liberally. And stop sticking mastic between the gaps in the slates, only people with no idea do that and will sometimes make the problem worse.

Flexacryl is a nightmare to put on and impossible to get off if it doesn't sort it.. If the problem is water running down the wall behind the slate then butyl rubber is quicker, easier and neater. If that's not the problem then you need to take the whole lot up and start again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back