Is it crazy to do a rear extension before loft conversion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My big plan is to do both: loft conversion and rear ground floor extension. Conventionally you would do the loft first, extension after which makes sense.

Now that I think doing both isn't quite within my budget, I'm thinking the extension is going to benefit us the most so I'd rather do that and leave the loft till a later date (not that desperate for the extra bedrooms). But will the fact I have a rear extension make converting the loft much more tricky later on, in terms of putting up scaffolding etc? I realise the problems with dust/rubbish coming down etc.

Has anyone else done it this way round?

Sponsored Links
My big plan is to do both: loft conversion and rear ground floor extension. Conventionally you would do the loft first, extension after which makes sense.

Now that I think doing both isn't quite within my budget, I'm thinking the extension is going to benefit us the most so I'd rather do that and leave the loft till a later date (not that desperate for the extra bedrooms). But will the fact I have a rear extension make converting the loft much more tricky later on, in terms of putting up scaffolding etc? I realise the problems with dust/rubbish coming down etc.

Has anyone else done it this way round?

I had my rear extension done first and then a loft conversion a few years later, it didn't cause me any issues at all.

Thanks. So how do they deal with the scaffolding at the back?

Hi

My house might be different to yours ie the section of my roof where the dormer went isn't at the very back of the house, ie there is another section of building/roof that juts out beyond it. That provided a platform for them to work off. The pic below will explain better, you can see where the dormer is and where the rear single storey extension is.

Sponsored Links
I did my rear extension with a flat roof first. It became a landing stage for materials such as long joists before being put through one of the escape roof windows.

Wish I could say I planned it this way. :D

It is no big deal though we don't know the existing/proposed layouts so can't comment if access for something or other could be more difficult, you may pay an extra hundred quid or so for the scaff if its a bit more complicated but other than that I don't see why.

It's just been pointed out to me that doing it this way, the scaffolding for the loft would have to go partly into my neighbour's garden, so I don't think I'll be donig it this way after all.

It's just been pointed out to me that doing it this way, the scaffolding for the loft would have to go partly into my neighbour's garden, so I don't think I'll be donig it this way after all.

You must have bad neighbours if they wont let you put 2 polls right next to your wall that belongs to you and may need maintaining in a few years time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back