What?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently applied for planning for a single storey rear extension and also a loft conversion. Due to budget constraints, we haven't done the loft conversion, but may consider it at a later date.

Our building inspector is saying that because we haven't done the loft conversion, they won't give us an official sign off certificate and can only give a letter stating that the single storey extension is built to the correct regulations.

This seems strange to me, the loft conversion and the extension are 2 seperate projects, so why should not doing one mean that we don't get the appropriate documentation?

Sponsored Links
how many sets of application paperwork did you send in and pay for?

how many sets of application paperwork did you send in and pay for?

Sent in one application, which had plans on for both the extension and the loft conversion. Initially we got a bill from the building inspectors for both components, but after ringing up, they lowered the bill as they were only inspecting the extension.

I guess that explains it.

You have submitted one application, for a certain amount of work. They have charged you for one application, and intend to sign it off when it is finished.

Possibly they would let you vary the application to include only that work which you presently intend to complete.

Sponsored Links
If you submitted plans showing both the extension and loft conversion, then presumably you would have got a discount on the building regs fees on the assumption that they were being done together.

Even so, they are clearly separate builds, and perhaps you could come to an arrangement on fees - ie pay the full fee for the loft if and when you do it.

But your inspector is really a bureaucratic ass. He could simply issue a certificate just applying to the extension.

If you submitted plans showing both the extension and loft conversion, then presumably you would have got a discount on the building regs fees on the assumption that they were being done together.

Even so, they are clearly separate builds, and perhaps you could come to an arrangement on fees - ie pay the full fee for the loft if and when you do it.

But your inspector is really a bureaucratic ass. He could simply issue a certificate just applying to the extension.

Thanks for the reply,

They've adjusted the price to reflect just the extension, just the whole certificate thing seems sketchy to me(especially considering they're a large company)

Will have to discuss the issue with the managers of the company - just always feel like I have to be careful not to upset them as then they can make your life a nightmare!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back