Concrete blocks or Red bricks good for Rear double extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are very new to Diy/house related works and looking for some advice regarding our project.We have hired builders to build a part single storey side extension and rear double storey extension and loft.

My builder have done the rear extension with concrete blocks,and i'm wondering why he didn't use redbrick's instead. when we asked him he said its good for plastering to get a neat finish and he also said that its little more expensive for him to build with concrete blocks compared to building with red bricks. but im just thinking is he trying to save some money by not using redbricks. and whats are the pros and con's of using concrete blocks(its only for rear extension,he used red bricks for side extension and we are not doing plastering for side as to match existing house). also,he has done the roof with timber etc and how can we make sure that he is using good quality timber and if he is doing good work without compromising?

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
What did you agree before hand? What's on the planning permission (if needed)

What was discussed and quoted for?

Blockwork is cheaper and faster for him to put up. If he quoted for brick but is using block then your getting short changed.

WTF? You wanted bricks and he used blocks?

What is your house made of? Will render match it, and are you happy painting it every few years?

Are there any plans to follow, or is it all straight out of someones head?

Sponsored Links
What did you agree before hand? What's on the planning permission (if needed)

What was discussed and quoted for?

Blockwork is cheaper and faster for him to put up. If he quoted for brick but is using block then your getting short changed.

Thanks for your reply. Planning permission is to use matching materials i.e do the plastering work as existing walls are all plastered and painted. He agreed to do whatever we like either brick work or plastered and pained and we wanted brick work but unfortunately due to planning permission issues we have to opt for plastering the walls and painted.

My question is, even if we have to plaster the walls, can we still use red bricks instead of concrete blocks? and is concrete good for insulation etc? This is the pic,please have a look and advise.thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20160827_121018_01.jpg
    IMG_20160827_121018_01.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 1,154
  • Building work.jpg
    Building work.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 1,082
WTF? You wanted bricks and he used blocks?

What is your house made of? Will render match it, and are you happy painting it every few years?

Are there any plans to follow, or is it all straight out of someones head?

Thanks for your reply. My house is made of bricks and its all plastered and painted.The planning permission was granted with conditions to use matching materials. hence we opted for plastering the house and painted. We got plans to follow from a certified architect with full planning permission.

My question here is, he said it will be good for plastering if we use concrete blocks to get a smooth finish of walls and then paint them. and I'm not sure if using Red bricks is more durable and the house will be more insulated? or it doesn't matter?? I have attached pic for example. Please advise. thanks

These days you wouldn't normally use bricks when the work is rendered, although I would have shown some brickwork above ground level to DPC.

These days you wouldn't normally use bricks when the work is rendered, although I would have shown some brickwork above ground level to DPC.
Thanks for your reply stuart.pic attached- this is how he has done it.does it look ok?

Attachments

• Building work.jpg
    Building work.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 721
Plaster is internal, on the outside its called render and it's sand and cement.

If the planning permission is to match the existing house externally, then that's what should be done. Planning is not concerned with the internal walls.

You can render over blocks or bricks, there is no real difference in performance. The only real difference is in cost. The cost of one block is that of two or three bricks, and there are six bricks to the area of one block. Blocks are quicker to lay too. So a wall built of blocks is cheaper than of bricks.

Thanks for your reply stuart.pic attached- this is how he has done it.does it look ok?
The work looks OK. The only thing is that you will have some blockwork showing at ground level. Normally you build the footings in blockwork and come out of the ground in brickwork where it shows.

The work looks OK.

I've booked you in at Specsavers, Thursday at 3:15.

That has not been built by anyone with any building experience or skill. It's been cobbled together by a chancer. There are many things not correct for a professional job.

There are some issues, but the spread can get over some and they can grow some plants along the bottom. I have seen some poorer jobs on here.

I've booked you in at Specsavers, Thursday at 3:15.

That has not been built by anyone with any building experience or skill. It's been cobbled together by a chancer. There are many things not correct for a professional job.
Thanks for your reply Woody. Could please let me know whats wrong with that build? we are new to this process and totally relying on builder. Thats the main reason i posted in this forum too,to make sure if he is doing the work properly or not.

The work looks OK. The only thing is that you will have some blockwork showing at ground level. Normally you build the footings in blockwork and come out of the ground in brickwork where it shows.

ok ,thanks for checking it Stuart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back