Plinth needed for external walls of extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we are building a rear and side ground floor extension. The builder (my dad) has suggested we need a plinth made of blocks around the base of the walls which would then be rendered, as the wife doesn't want any engineering bricks visible as they would be red or blue only as I understand, which doesnt go well she thinks with the yellow stock facing bricks we are using.
My dad knows what he is doing building wise but I am just confused by seeing other extensions where I dont see a plinth or engineering bricks at the base, what are these builders doing instead?

Cant see yellow engineering bricks anywhere either?

Thanks for advice

Sponsored Links
Tell dad to cast his mind back to the first term of building school and that you don't need to use engineering bricks, only ones that are frost rated.

So there is no reason to use engineering bricks here?

Sponsored Links
Cheers for this.
Apparently the building inspector said has to be engineering bricks when on site today. Seems to be the type who just wants to cover himself rather than giving advice though. Im sure not all building inspectors are like that!

There's a building inspector on here who has probably done this type of thing a billion times before. He may be able to advise what he would do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back