Brick slips below DPC level for extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For my rear extension, architect has shown buff facing bricks to below patio level (which is exactly what i want). However, builder has laid red engineering bricks up to DPC level (and the facing bricks on top) which means the red bricks will be visible.

Contract administrator has suggested cutting a slice (20mm or so) of the facing brick (to create brick slips) and sticking them onto the engineering bricks (so no red bricks are visible). He says he's done this on other jobs. However, i’m not convinced it’s a good idea. The slips could eventually fall off or maybe even crumble as water will sit on the exposed (top) edge.

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Crap idea.

How long is the CA prepared to warranty his idea for?

Good point. If he insists, i think i'll ask him!

Actually, just spoken to the architect who also said it's a ridiculous idea. Funny thing is, CA says he's done it several times and that its a "well practised art"!

You would have a lip where the slips ended at DPC. How high is the facework up?

Sponsored Links
The problem is, the wall below dpc could potentially be permanently damp.

Now, all slip adhesives should be able to cope with the face and the adhesive getting wet, but there would be an assumption that this will then dry out.

In that location below dpc, there would be dampness and frost action which would not occur further to the wall. So whilst there is a chance that it could work, there is a greater chance that it won't.

Btw, in recommending that work the CA becomes a designer under CDM regulations, and would need to provide method statements for the safety of the builder in doing that work at such a low level. There's an increased safety risk in doing that work that low. I wonder if that crossed his mind? It's a big liability.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back