Facing bricks below DPC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building an extension and matching the bricks to the existing house. I noticed that ibstock say that the bricks should not be used "below ground level DPC". Their durability is F1 (moderately frost resistant). The existing house was built in the 80's and has the facing bricks going below ground level. Using engineering bricks would look strange.

Are they existing bricks likely to be more durable and suitable for below ground or does it not really matter?

Should I just use the facing bricks? I'm also planning to do three courses below ground level, would it be better to do a course or two of engineering bricks at the bottom or just use facing bricks for all of them?

Sponsored Links
It is pretty standard for builders to use concrete blocks and engineering bricks below ground, then facework bricks so all visible brickwork is matching.

My guess Ibstock are covering themselves.

Strictly speaking non porous frost proof bricks, such as engineerings are used upto damp, but I've almost never seen that done other than to match existing

If the elevation is relatively sheltered, you could chance it. But they may not look the same after a few years when the faces come off. That's the risk.

Sponsored Links
We've just done it with our current build, i.e. used the facing brick below DPC. Only because the existing house has it and after much research into the (absolutely rock hard) bricks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back