Windpost - house extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

can anyone help? We are building a rear double extension, structural engineer has said we need to fit windpost on a rear house extension - WPA windpost from wincro.

I get what it is, but how does it tie into the house, one ties goes into the block and one tie goes across the cavity into the brick. It bolts into concrete footing and bolts to the joist, am I missing something? or does the tie from the block then go into the current brickwork of the house? We need windpost due to taking down the nibs in the current house and putting in a long UB.

Thanks any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi, yes Ive seen that link thank you. I get the basic of how it works, its just the tieing into the original house that I'm not sure on.
I've know several builders who are highly rated - and none of them have ever fitted one, my brother who is also a builder as only ever fitted one into a new build.
Thank you

probably best to ask the manufacturer.

Sponsored Links
I will be speaking to them again soon, Ive spoken to them today and asked the questions. They them self's said they dont manufacture them often at all. The SE says we need them for enhanced structural stability - I personally think its ass covering.

yeah, sounds like expensive ass covering!

We needed wind posts for upstairs and downstairs walls 4 in total to stop them buckling but that was because they were 50mm thick masonry and the support at one end had been removed and the roof was supported off it. I can't see that it would do much if the wall is any thicker, but only the se knows what they were trying to prevent.

The SE should detail how the windposts are to be fixed because the fixity of the windpost is critical.
But does the build really need a windpost at all? Depending on the layout of walls parallel to the wind load, it is often possible to
show that w/posts are not necessary.

what do you mean wwwebber? Surely queries are always allowed - it's a building forum.

Thread moved from forum Your Projects
Yesterday at 4.46pm
Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
what do you mean wwwebber? Surely queries are always allowed - it's a building forum.

Thread moved from forum Your Projects
Yesterday at 4.46pm
Mod

Forum rules not mine. Thread still present in "Your Projects" though which is where I replied but now redirects to Building so has already been moved :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back