Can someone help calculate number of blocks i'll need

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im having a double storey side extension and single storey rear extension built (planning just been authorised)

Im trying to put together an accurate material budget but im struggling to calculate the number of blocks i'll need.

The two storey side extension is 4.5m wide x 8.9m deep
The single storey rear extension is 8.7m wide x 3.3m deep

I beleive the wall is to be double skin cavity (concrete outer blocks and breeze block inner)

The foundations are ready mix concrete pour so not using foundation blocks

If anyone can assist me to calculate a rough number of blocks i'll need id be very greatful.

Best Regards
Neil

Sponsored Links
10 blocks per m2.

Work out your wall area, and deduct the area of openings

Thanks woody.

Do you have any idea how many blocks a bricky can lay in day?

Thanks woody.

If he's on daywork, as few as possible. If he's on a high pricework, as many as possible.

There are too many factors, and the only meaningful way is for you to get several compartive quotes

Sponsored Links
Thanks woody.

If he's on daywork, as few as possible. If he's on a high pricework, as many as possible.

There are too many factors, and the only meaningful way is for you to get several compartive quotes

I would be organising it on a job price rather than daily rate, I had a guestimate of 400 blocks per day providing conditions are good and no major problems to hold him up....just wondered if my guestimate would be ablout right.

Thanks again for your help.

Works out im gonna need 2600 blocks :D

Best Regards
Neil

400 blocks a day, 15 pound a metre... ill come and do it! haha, think 400 is a bit much unless a very long run with no corners, scaffolding or loading up... even with a carrier on your own itd be hard work!

If you want a proper price, then I would give you individual prices for m2 of walling, cutting and laying reveals and cills, laying and fitting DPC, fixing insulation, fitting lintels, fixing wall starters, building in ties, fixing frames or dummy frames etc etc.

Then daywork for waiting, sorting out discrepancies, dealing with problems and BCO etc.

So be careful just how much you try and screw the builder down, as it is not always a good thing to base everything on price. Base it on trust instead

If you want a proper price, then I would give you individual prices for m2 of walling, cutting and laying reveals and cills, laying and fitting DPC, fixing insulation, fitting lintels, fixing wall starters, building in ties, fixing frames or dummy frames etc etc.

Then daywork for waiting, sorting out discrepancies, dealing with problems and BCO etc.

So be careful just how much you try and screw the builder down, as it is not always a good thing to base everything on price. Base it on trust instead

Yeah sounds like good advice. Thanks again your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back