Is it damp in my basement flat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently bought a basement flat, one large living room/bedroom and one kitchen area with a wet room.

Ripped up the carpet from the living room as it was old and seemed to be smelling musty around the edges, as I took it up I noticed along on the floor underneath (large chip board type panels making up the floor) that at the edge where the internal wall and floor met it was slightly moist and musty smelling.

This appears in the corner of the wall and along the wall in certain places.

The other side of the wall is the kitchen, which has been fitted with large slate tiles right up to the granite wall so there is no way to see if there is a problem underneath - but in the corner is a very small alcove with a concrete floor, here I discovered a small patch of moisture that appears. If I dry it out with a heater it re-appears in an hour or two.

The person I bought the propery from assured me that the walls had all been tanked less than 18 months ago.

My question is what is the best thing to do next? Should I check to see if any water pipes are running underneath the flat, and if so how? Should I get a dehumidifier and see if mositure goes away? Or should I get some heaters into the flat and put them on once a day for an hour or two even if its not cold?

Sorry to sound like a noob but I'm a first time buyer and this is worrying me like mad, I actually want to have a polished concrete floor in the living room but not sure about the practicality and whether it would be good to protect against damp?

Sponsored Links
Have you got the guarantee for the tanking?

If so, call the company that did it and get them to come and inspect it.

Ah sadly the person I bought it from did the tanking, so no guarantee - and I cant get hold of him despite leaving some voicemails.

What is the best way for me to check if it is a leaking pipe, it would be great if somebody could invent x-ray DIY glasses so I could see through the floor and wall to see where the water was coming from!

Sponsored Links
sounds like the guy you bought it from was a tanker :rolleyes: ...a proper concrete floor with dp.membrane and insulation will, of course remain dry .......the walls you may be able to have rendered with a waterproof slurry/mix .......I`ll ask a guy I know who works in the "damp proofing" industry ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back