Is it easy to replace an Aqualisa shower cartridge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have an Aqualisa E99 Aquarian Thermostatic shower running from my combi boiler. It was in my flat when I moved in, but must be around 7 years old. Anyway, it's developed a fault where even when it's turned off some water is still coming through (enough to mean we are having to turn the water off at the mains when we're not using water! I haven't been able to find anywhere to isolate the shower from the system unfortunately).

Anyway, after doing some research it seems as though the likely remedy is to replace the cartridge and I've found that I can get one online for around £95 (aqualisa ref 214004 cartridge - I 'think' this is the correct one). However, I've never done any DIY with showers before, so I'm not entirely sure how to replace it and what the difficulty level is like. I haven't been able to find any info or guides online as of yet that would walk me through it. Therefore, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how difficult/complex a job this is and if there is any info anywhere anyone knows that could assist.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
It's about as easy as it gets:-

Take off cover, etc
Undo the 4 screws holding the cartridge in place
Pull out old cartridge and insert new one and reassemble

Okay - thanks, I'll try giving it a go in that case. I've just been looking at ordering a new cartridge and noticed that some sites state that for combi boiler feeds, a flow regulator is required for the cold inlet for this kind of cartridge. However, as I'm replacing an existing cartridge, would I be right in thinking there should be an existing flow regulator already there that I can just reuse?

Sponsored Links
Afternoon pcornall,

MarkBr has answered the question very well. However, I'd just like to add a few extra things.

a) The hot and cold water will need to be isolated in order to change the cartridge.
b) Newly bought cartridges are always supplied with fitting instructions.

If you get stuck; you can always Aqualisa Customer services on 01959 560010 (Monday - Friday 8.30am-5.00pm) for advice and if you are really jammed a service engineer visit can always be arranged for you.

Kind Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back