Is it just me or are evenings still getting darker?

Ah. but don't they think that if climate change/global warming does happen then it will get colder in Britain

The arguments have got mixed up I'm afraid. As I've already said, because the global warming argument wasn't holding up, they then started to talk about climate change - which is happening - and then started saying that it was man made as well to continue with their argument. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that we are actually going into a mini ice age, and that might make Britain, colder, but because we are surrounded by sea, we may well be protected from it's effects. We're on the same latitude as Russia, but don't get so cold because the sea keeps us warm. In the same way, France is further south than us, but gets colder than we do at night in the winter months, but then gets hotter in the summer.

The weather is affected by the gulf stream currents, and the jet stream currents at 30000 feet, and as these shift, it causes changes in the earths weather patterns, but no one has any idea yet what makes them move. Volcanos put masses of CO2 in to the atmosphere, and so do the forest fires we that we get every year, and nature has designed many plants not to open and grow until after a fire, so are we just the tipping point in a finely balanced system, or is it just a group of people not having the courage to admit they might just be wrong.

We're now being told that diesel cars are killing everyone, yet container ships put out far more pollution than virtually everything else put together, except nothings being done about.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1229857/How-16-ships-create-pollution-cars-world.html

Sponsored Links
...but wasn't the hypothesis that when global warming happened the Gulf Stream would switch off?

Your comparison with Russia and France is flawed because of the size of Russia and France is quite varied.

You could say that Britain is much farther north than the top of Everest which gets colder in the Winter.

...but wasn't the hypothesis that when global warming happened the Gulf Stream would switch off

The standard argument is that global warming would cause the ice caps to melt, and the fresh water wouldn't drop to the bottom of the sea, so the normal rise and fall of the cold and warmed water would stop pumping the gulf stream. And yes, as the gulf stream brings up warm water from the equator, we'd lose that warming affect, but it comes up on the west side of Britain, not the eastern side, but we're fairly evenly balanced, so it's not the complete answer as to why we'd get colder.

Your comparison with Russia and France is flawed because of the size of Russia and France is quite varied.

I did say at the same latitude EFL, but I think part of the variance with Russia may have something to do with the jet stream as well, but essentially, the comparison is taught in geography.

You could say that Britain is much farther north than the top of Everest which gets colder in the Winter

Come on EFL, that's stretching an counter argument to the limit. You're normally better than that.

Come on EFL, that's stretching an counter argument to the limit. You're normally better than that.
Thanks for compliment.

I admit it is stretching it, but the latitude is not really relevant.

Large land masses get colder in Winter. Small Islands do not.
Plus there is the altitude of the land.
Britain is farther north than New York (city and state) which is much colder in Winter.

Sponsored Links
further complicated by the prevailing wind and tide direction and the topography off the land with the weather on one side off hilly ground or a mountain or island being often very different to the other

I admit it is stretching it, but the latitude is not really relevant.

Large land masses get colder in Winter. Small Islands do not.
Plus there is the altitude of the land.
Britain is farther north than New York (city and state) which is much colder in Winter

Hang on, you've just used my argument; although slightly reversed.

I was under the impression that land masses get cold as the winter reduces the temperature, but the warm water that surrounds an island keeps it warmer. And I think you've agreed with me.

And I think you're referring to rain fall patterns Big-all.

gulf stream for example keeps the west coast off britian a bit warmer
but off course warm air over an ocean will pick up far more moisture

Yes, Doggit. I was never disagreeing with you - just didn't think you could compare Britain with Russia or even France.

I'll just stick to my rollering. :)

Yes, Doggit. I was never disagreeing with you - just didn't think you could compare Britain with Russia or even France.
Kamchatka peninsula? Similar area and lattitude. Almost an island.
Insidefun+Yahho+group+%25283%2529.jpg

The Express never gets the weather right. That's why I read the Sun .

The article was quite interesting, but strengthens the effect of the jet stream rather than diminishes what the gulf stream is doing. But is does explain why the Kamchatka peninsula is colder because of the cold air being pulled from the polar caps by the jet stream.

It's an interesting point that you make Gerry, and it just shows that they still don't know what's really causing climate change.

Kamchatka peninsula? Similar area and lattitude. Almost an island.
Insidefun+Yahho+group+%25283%2529.jpg
One of our nurses decided about 3 yrs ago, that she wanted to become a doctor. She's actually doing her training in Russia, of all places. Last year we met up and I asked her how she was coping. She told me that in the summer time, it's much like the UK. Has heatwaves , rain etc, but,, the winters were the worst. She said it often reaches temperatures of - 40 degrees and more. Her accommodation has central heating, but even then it's still cold indoors. Strangest thing though,, she's never had a cold or flu in all that time over there.
Anyway, As to the dark nights not seeming to draw out as much as they should,,,,, I blame Brexit . ;)

Sponsored Links
Back