Is it load bearing?

FMC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is on 3 levels and as such i have 4 staircases to get me to the top.The thing is I don't like the banister in it(cheap lumps of wood from stair to stair).I had a guy into give me a quote and he thinks the bits of 2X4 that join each stair case aren't load bearing(from top to bottom of each pair of stair) ,I'm thinking the same a surely such a thin bit of wood couldn't carry the weight of those stair cases.What does everyone think :?:

Sponsored Links
A bit awkward without seeing it, can you do a photo?

how do I upload a picture from my pc to this forum?

DSCF0367.jpg

DSCF0368.jpg

DSCF0369.jpg

Theres another peice of would on the other stair.what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Yes I think you're right but will need to be on the job for further inspection. Seem to me it was put in for the handrail only. Does the stair string goes into the 4"x2"? Also how are you going to replace the handrail if you do decide to remove it?

what is flimsy in compression is ok in tension so long as it is within certain parameters
its the anchorages at each point where there will be weaknesses..ie the 'glue'
it looks thin to me...and damage could occur during moving furniture etc.
as i see it anyway...
:rolleyes:

edit...dont the stair stringers connect to the landings..???

The stringers? ,are either screwed or nailed(nailed more likely) into the landings,and imgetting the joiner to make me new post so it looks better thats why I'm not sure if I should let him chop them.

something will need to be there...eventually for the handrail...
i got a bit confused actually about why you were saying they were load bearing...
the load will be someone leaning over the rail i suppose...
i dont think they could support anything else...at present..

sorry ,I meant the vertical bits of wood that join the stairs together.I just wondered if they were taking the load of the stair above ,so if i chopped them would I wake up in the morning and find i have no stair.

The stair string is normally fitted to the trimmer joists which take the weight of the staircase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back