Is it more economical to keep my boiler on minimum or off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an Ideal Isar boiler which heats my hot water and radiators. The lowest I can have it (without turning it off) is minimum.

Is it more economical to have it on all the time and keep at minimum and will my water be hot on request?

Or is it more economical to turn the boiler off and turn it on a wait a few minutes for hot water?

Thanks
Wendy :)

Sponsored Links
While a house or hot water tank is kept warm/hot it has a heat loss. The higher the temperature difference between 'it' and the surroundings the more heat it loses. If it isn't heated there's no heat loss. So it can be a trade-off between efficiency and convenience.

As the Ideal Isar (from a quick google) is a combi boiler the hot water is heated on demand so this doesn't apply to that. It would apply if you had a hot water cylinder.

But I am a bit confused as to why it should take 'a few minutes' for hot water to come through. The hot water should come through in a matter of seconds or perhaps a bit more if pipe runs are long.

Do you have a hot water cylinder and even though you have a combi boiler it heats it?

These have a preheat which keeps the plate exch hot at all times.
If you use water regularly then keep the boiler on to minimise excessive water waste when opening a tap.

Hi Peet,

Thanks for your reply. I don`t have a hot water cylinder. I haven`t been in my flat long so trying to get used to everything. I`m sure I have to turn the boiler on for a few minutes before a shower/bath to get hot water. I`ll try it again later.

I just want to save money, as we all do, so I hope to be able to keep the boiler turned off, until I want hot water.

Thanks again.

While a house or hot water tank is kept warm/hot it has a heat loss. The higher the temperature difference between 'it' and the surroundings the more heat it loses. If it isn't heated there's no heat loss. So it can be a trade-off between efficiency and convenience.

As the Ideal Isar (from a quick google) is a combi boiler the hot water is heated on demand so this doesn't apply to that. It would apply if you had a hot water cylinder.

But I am a bit confused as to why it should take 'a few minutes' for hot water to come through. The hot water should come through in a matter of seconds or perhaps a bit more if pipe runs are long.

Do you have a hot water cylinder and even though you have a combi boiler it heats it?

Sponsored Links
Its a combi and has a preheat to minimise wait time for hot water at the taps. By turning the thing off it will take longer to deliver the desired temp at the taps. It is designed to allow the preheat to operate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back