is it my pump and why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
I've read all the threads and can't find one that covers my problem completely.
I'm a bit of a layman but here goes...

1) My boiler is alight and i have hot water but no heating.
I have a Potterton boiler and hot water tank and all the pipes etc in the airing cupboard.
I've lived here for 16 years and have had the pump replaced twice before.
The pump is hot and it is making a slight humming/buzzing sound if i listen closely.
I removed the screw in the centre and a lot of air came out (and a little hot water) but i couldn't notice it spinning inside. is it obvious?
Is there anything i should or could do to a) check if its jammed and b) free whatever it is thats jammed, if it is?
How can i be certain it needs replacing? they're fairly expensive if i remember rightly?

2) I live in brighton and the water leaves a lot of deposit in the kettle could that be whats happening in my system too? and if so, what can i do to prevent it in future and save having to buy a new pump every 5 or 6 years and avoid whatever other damage it may be doing within my system?

many thanks

manylayers :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
A quality pump on a clean, well designed and maintained system should last many years.
I work in Brighton and know pumps that are at least 20 years old and working fine. Others that are 2 years old and have been killed by been put on dirty badly configered systems.
If you remove screw on end of pump you should be able to see pump spinning if it has power to it, or put a screwdriver gently in and tou will hear and feel the shaft rotate if it is working.
If you want to email me for further advice then look at my profile for my eddress

manylayers said:
How can i be certain it needs replacing?
Check that the F&E is full.

Run the system when it's completely cold and see if the pump turns then.

See if runs if you turn it to start it manually.

they're fairly expensive if i remember rightly?
Not massively - £65 for pump; couple of hours of labour.

The expense comes if your system is in poor condition and won't easily drain and/or fill.

2) I live in brighton and the water leaves a lot of deposit in the kettle could that be whats happening in my system too?
No.

what can i do to prevent it in future and save having to buy a new pump every 5 or 6 years and avoid whatever other damage it may be doing within my system?
Ensure that the system is clean, or becomes clean by flushing it out, then prevent future corrosion with a dose of inhibitor.
______________________-

mrgas said:
If you want to email me for further advice then look at my profile for my eddress
Did you join the forum to advertise, or is just this once? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back