Is it my water heater that's bust or something else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hoping someone can offer some advice as I'm pulling my hair out!

I live in a very old small tenement flat. Hot water is provided by a single "Stiebel Eltron" water heater - basically like a giant Electric Shower that feeds the hot taps & shower itself (as far as I can tell).

Problem is this - seems to me that the performance of the water heater is a bit sporadic. It can be hot one minute and then a couple of hours later it can be pretty cool. Trouble for me is that lately, it's been FREEZING first thing in the morning when I need to wash/ shower for work!!

I'm not a plumber so I don't know if it's the heater itself that needs to be replaced or if there are environmental factors that could affect it's ability to heat the water.

I would have thought that if the mains cold water was too cold the heater would output more slowly (i.e. less flow to the shower/ tap) but this is not the case. The pressure from taps/ shower seems to be the same, it's usually the temperature that's varied.

Any advice?

Thanks very much

Gordon

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back