Is it normal for water to come from radiator valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I decided it's cold enough to put the radiator on in the bedroom now as I shut it off in April, not using the temperature dial but the other side which shuts off and isolates the radiator.
So I turned on the isolator valve but water started to come out and it didn't seem to stop. So I isolated the radiator again and the water stopped coming out. So I was pleased about that. But is this normal?
I didn't leave it more than a few seconds as didn't want water to keep coming out.
Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
It is normal if they are worn out and leaking.

Not otherwise.

Post some photos.

It's not normal, the valve is leaking no need for pictures. Either change it yourself or get a plumber in, good luck with that.

It may only need the nut (gland nut) on the top of the valve nipped up (1/5th of a turn) .... the nut the valve stem runs through. Lockshield gland nuts respond well to the PTFE tape repair ( look up valve gland nut re-seal with PTFE tape) as once the valve is opened you really don't want to touch it again. Use the other end (TRV) to turn the rad on and off in the future.

Sponsored Links
A photograph is very useful to identify what type you have. For example I used to have some very old valves, that could be opened and fitted with new "O" rings. In other cases the PTFE tape is very cheap and can be easy. If the valves are a modern cheap type it may be simple to swap for an identical or compatible new one.

I find the worst is where the old one is a different size, or the old captive nut does not fit and you have to cut off the olive, and the pipework or tail does not fit a new valve. None of us know what you have without seeing them.

Here is a picture of it now what are two people mentioned I simply need to turn something they slightly and that will fix the issue when I understood the valve which particular part is it thank you

Attachments

• 16660185775992601869173580193423.jpg
    16660185775992601869173580193423.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 111
Where the spindle goes into the valve - the hex nut is the gland nut - open the valve up and then nip that nut up. Back the nut off 1/5th of a turn 1st then tighten it again and see if the water stops running, be careful when tightening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back