Is it normal to have hole under bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbours in below flat said theres a big hole under my bath that previous plumbers made to get at pipes and it needs to be filled or if water gets on my floor and under bath it will go to their ceiling?
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance?

Sponsored Links
Wooden or concrete floor? How "big" is "big"?

I would have thought that most plumbers would replace any boards that they lift before finishing?
If it's a wooden floor then (apart from some absorbsion by the timber) eventually some water might fall through so I doubt it would make much difference but sound might be an issue?

theres a big hole under my bath that previous plumbers made to get at pipes and it needs to be filled

Not ideal but no real problem at the end of the day. Any water below the bath will find it's downstairs whether filled in or not.

photos will help a lot.

Do they mean a hole in the floorboards, or a hole in their plaster ceiling?

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, ill try and get a pic. Hole in floor board I presume. This is what they have told me but ive not seen it yet.

Is it a board removed because the trap needed to go below the floor level?

No just a hole so pipes could be gotten to apparently. Neighbours below want me to board it up.

Just say that you have. Anything that you do won't be waterproof.
You could buy a roasting dish and cover the hole- assuming any water comes straight down

Well they jave removed their ceiling and saw the pipes, so presumably thats how they have allegedly seen a hole in my wooden floor boards around the pipes. They said I need tp get this hole filled or if theres a leak the water will come straight through their ceiling. They said whoever installed my bathroom left a hole around the pipes in wooden floor board so they could get at them.

if it was me, I would carve an offcut of 18mm ply to fit over the hole, with a screw at each corner, to stop them moaning. it may muffle noise a bit, but do nothing else.

If you have a jigsaw you can cut it out so it fits round the pipes.

Heres some pics, just taken under my bath, hope these help?

Attachments

• 20200201_020638.jpg
    20200201_020638.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 326
  • 20200201_020701.jpg
    20200201_020701.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 332
  • 20200201_020714.jpg
    20200201_020714.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 333
  • 20200201_020721.jpg
    20200201_020721.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 333
  • 20200201_020731.jpg
    20200201_020731.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 357
It looks like he's cut/removed a bit of floorboard for the trap. ?
Looks hard to get to.

You might be able to squirt foam into there but getting the trap out would be tricky.
I don't know who owns the void between two flats?
Presumably you both have rights to run cables and pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back