Is it OK to do exterior painting in this weather?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it OK to do exterior painting in this weather?

Weather forecast for London the next four days is Wednesday max 17 min 10, Thursday max 17 min 12 Friday 19 min 14 Saturday max 19 min 13

So temperature wise it seems fine (I think?), so mainly wondering about the increased moisture at this time of year. I'm concerned I might get everything prepared then the weather might not permit me to paint it.

Would you paint outside now or leave it until next year?

Sponsored Links
It can still be very mild at this time of year and perfectly ok to paint outside. Generally though the day is shorter as you only have a few hours in which you could paint. Don't start till after about 10 am and stop about 3 pm as the dew could start to fall. Some of my best outsides have been done at this time of year.

Thanks for your reply.

What's the very latest time of year you'll typically paint outside?

It's a judgement call; as long as it's not too wet or damp, and the temperatures above about 10c, and you should be fine. After Christmas it starts to get tricky, but can be fine on a coldish day as they tend to be dry, but as you get to spring, and it starts to rain, then your stuffed.

Sponsored Links
What's the very latest time of year you'll typically paint outside?

I started painting the exterior of a house last December and finished
in February.

I did advise against it but the pointing was being done at the same time and the clients didn't want to pay twice for scaffolding.

I had to add quite a lot of Owatrol to the oil based Dulux Trade Weathershield paints as they don't flow too well when it is that cold .

I limited the use of water based masonry paints to days when the temperature was 5 degree and rising. I didn't use it in the afternoons because as Robbie UK mentioned you start getting the dew (and temperature drop). I also limited the use of gloss paint to the mornings as the dew matts the gloss finish.

Products that use a catalyst were a tad troublesome. My Timbabuild "1 hour" epoxy resin filler took a whole day to harden.

I used white CT1 to reglaze some of the windows. It went bright yellow.

I am currently working on another exterior on the same road, the job looks as good as it did when I finished. That said, the cold probably made the job take up to 20% longer than it would have in the summer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back