Is it ok to drill through metal studs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is a new build house just under 2 years old, so it is all metal stud framed walls. No partition walls are solid other than the semi-detached split and the external facing walls, so based on that I have no idea what is load bearing and was is not. Recently, with all the time spent at home, and what with the work in question being in the downstairs loo, I have had a lot of time to be pondering some work we had done ages ago, which was a water pipe splitting and sharing with a water dispensing fridge!

It just occurred to me the other day that the tradesman we had out must have drilled through one of the metal studs. Based on the lack of solid walls, it made me wonder if that perhaps some of the stud walls are load bearing? If that is the case, is it an issue that a metal stud was drilled through? Based on the size of the hole and the size of the studs it would be quite a significant hole through one of the studs.

I have got a picture of the hole in question, along with photos taken before the house was completed showing what is in the wall and what the joists look like above the wall, seen here:

The reason I am even thinking about it after all this time, is because we have some slightly creaky floorboards on the upstairs landing (one of which is above that wall) and a small gap between the top of the stair case and the landing next to it. I always attributed this to the house settling, but it got me wondering if it could possibly be linked to this stud having been drilled?

Sponsored Links
Chipboard is an awful material, very prone to cracking, creaking and breaking.

I'm told that if it is perfectly and expertly fitted, this happens less.

However I have not been in a house where that was done so can only comment on what I've observed.

If you find gappy joints, or cracks, or pieces that have been cut e.g. by a plumber or electrician, you can expect those areas to become increasingly faulty. Parts of the floor under extra stress, e.g. areas of traffic where people often walk; or in front of a sink where people often stand; or at the bottom of stairs where people often tread heavily, are particularly prone to failure.

Chipboard is very cheap to buy and easy to fit, so is very popular with builders....

...who don't have to live in the house afterwards.

Sponsored Links
Chipboard is an awful material, very prone to cracking, creaking and breaking.

I'm told that if it is perfectly and expertly fitted, this happens less.

However I have not been in a house where that was done so can only comment on what I've observed.

If you find gappy joints, or cracks, or pieces that have been cut e.g. by a plumber or electrician, you can expect those areas to become increasingly faulty. Parts of the floor under extra stress, e.g. areas of traffic where people often walk; or in front of a sink where people often stand; or at the bottom of stairs where people often tread heavily, are particularly prone to failure.

Chipboard is very cheap to buy and easy to fit, so is very popular with builders....

...who don't have to live in the house afterwards.
Thanks, so it is likely the floorboard itself rather than anything beneath it?

wouldn't surprise me one bit. Roll back the carpet and have a look. Sometimes you can make a repair by taking up a board and adding extra support.

In my case I've tried that, and have now moved to replacing with ply, which I consider superior, and adding struts (noggins) under any joints that are not on top of a joist. This is a bit laborious, but worth doing when a room is due for redecoration or a new carpet.

Carpenters are fairly quick at this sort of work, but it can be DIY'ed.

I have the large, uncut boards in the centre of the room and along traffic areas, so that any smaller, cut pieces, are round the edges where they will not usually get walked on. It also means that if you have to lift a piece for plumbing or electrics, it will usually just be one of the edge pieces, which is convenient.

They are not
Thanks - So from that point of view, excuse my ignorance - even if a stud was drilled or even if a stud or the wall itself was removed, it wouldn't have any relevance to the structural soundness of upstairs?

these floors are usually t&g and designed to be bonded at their joints with expanding polyeurethane adhesive , which builders rarely bother using.
hence the creaking and squeaking.

Thanks all - So upstairs floorboard issue aside, there is no concern that a metal stud has been drilled through?

Thanks - So from that point of view, excuse my ignorance - even if a stud was drilled or even if a stud or the wall itself was removed, it wouldn't have any relevance to the structural soundness of upstairs?
No.

Partition walls may well reduce some rattle and deflection from the floor above which the wall is connected to, which is adventitious, but its not a structural issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back