Is it OK to shutoff water mains supply coming into the house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler died a couple of days ago. To prevent burts pipes etc as there is no heating in the house, and temperatures outside are around zero or less, I've shutoff the mains water supply coming into the house by closing the main valve, and drained all the water (both hot and cold) by running all the taps.

Is this the right thing to do in this case?. Could there be any adverse effect due to this as I think it'll take another week before the boiler gets replaced? (I've moved out for the moment as its impossible to survive the cold!!).

Regards.
Rizwan

Sponsored Links
It's not a bad thing to do considering the temps. lately.

at least it will reduce your risk of burst pipes ;)

If theres a hot water cylinder in the system It will still be full of water and perhaps could do with draining out.
These weather conditions are quite severe and as someone who remembers the damage that empty houses suffered in the early eighties freeze ups I would say it is a move worth considering

Thanks NewGas.

Is there any risk of the mains pipe coming into the house freezing?.

Is it OK to leave pipes w/o any water for about 10 days?. Is there any danger of bio-growth of any kind?.

I have not drained the CH circuit as the thoguht of air-ingress leading to corrosion (in my mind atleast) seemed like something I should avoid.

Thanks for your help.
Riz

Sponsored Links
SlugBaby,

Thanks yet again.

With your assistance at 5 in the morning a few days ago, I was able to isloate the expansion tank water feed..so... it should be OK... I drain both hot and cold water..

OOhhhh....I see what you mean, the hot water cyliner outlet is from the top... so, when I shut off water mains and run the hot water down, the cylinder is still left full of water?... how the frack do I drain this???
What kind of BS systems are these???...

Following the climb up and down the loft and crawling into ewes spaces that night, I've decided to go for a combi boiler... seems like a simpler system that would do away with tanks and tanks and cyliners... hope its not totally a stipud decision!!!.

Thanks again.

Thanks NewGas.

Is there any risk of the mains pipe coming into the house freezing?. yes but rare.
Is it OK to leave pipes w/o any water for about 10 days?. Is there any danger of bio-growth of any kind?. you might get rats temporarily living in them- just kidding, it'll be alright.
I have not drained the CH circuit as the thoguht of air-ingress leading to corrosion (in my mind atleast) seemed like something I should avoid.it would be best to drain if you could.
Thanks for your help.
Riz

My boiler died a couple of days ago. To prevent burts pipes etc as there is no heating in the house, and temperatures outside are around zero or less, I've shutoff the mains water supply coming into the house by closing the main valve, and drained all the water (both hot and cold) by running all the taps.

Is this the right thing to do in this case?. Could there be any adverse effect due to this as I think it'll take another week before the boiler gets replaced? (I've moved out for the moment as its impossible to survive the cold!!).

Regards.
Rizwan

if you did what you say the cylinder should be almost empty but for a little bit of water :rolleyes:

if you did what you say the cylinder should be almost empty but for a little bit of water :rolleyes:

Would it be?... I thought the h/w cyliner outlet was at the top of the cylinder, so, even fully drained from the taps, it'll be left full of water, unless there was a drain point at the lowest point on the cyliner??

yes you are absolutely right, you have to drain the cylider through a pipe near the bottom of it witch should have a valve on it, they can be very stiff tho. to be honest the cylinder is covered in a jacket and i would say the cold wont get to it like exposed pipes , leave it, it'll be alright.leave the taps open tho.

i think i'm getting tired :oops:

The problem is, the water coming in the house is pretty darn cold, and the house is so cold I went back earlier to pick somethign up and there was a bottle of water I had left out in the kitchen, took a swig from it and it was so cold my teeth hurt..., so, the jacket on the cylinder may not do much... on the other hand, its been like this for the last 2-3 days and luckily nothing has happened... so, I'll just leave things like that...

It might freeze but you could turn the immersion on for a few minutes when you go there to warm it up.

As you have made a decision ( wrong in my view ) to have a combi then it will not be needed any more anyway.

Tony

As you have made a decision ( wrong in my view ) to have a combi then it will not be needed any more anyway.

Tony

tony
just out of interest why do you belive he has made the wrong decision by choosing a combi

I have explained that in one of the other two threads he has got active all at the same time.

Worse, he has committed to a combi when no one has measured the mains supply dynamic supply pressure.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back