Is it ok to switch humax box off at the mains ?

Reaction score
Country
Bouvet Island
Am switching it off last thing as i prefer not to have things left-on standby overnight. I wait till it goes silent usually bout 3-4 minutes
Not gonna screw it up am I ?

edit superfluous

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
i have a humax freeview recorder box and its fine with unplugging but off course wont record any programs overnight whilst unpluged it uses less than 10 w in action and a bit less on standby

Great. It's not really about saving penies, tho they do add up more about it catching fire lol, I can't sleep before ive gone
round and switch sockets off

Channel changes are updated overnight I believe so such changes won't be fixed. Probably doesn't matter if you only watch the main channels but the others will be affected.

Sponsored Links
Great. It's not really about saving penies, tho they do add up more about it catching fire lol, I can't sleep before ive gone
round and switch sockets off
i fully appreciate you concerns about any danger off fire but in general its only been tumble driers and fridges and the odd Chinese produced carp with batteries i have read about never ever any low powered gadgets from well trusted manufacturers who have to comply with very strict regulations in the uk under eu regulation i suspect the danger is far less than you think and at nearly 69 i have never heard off someone i know suffering from substantial damage from electronic equipment
now the reason i say substantial is because they may have had a fault that i am not aware off but was off such a level not worth a discussion
to be fair going out your front door will probably give you a level off danger perhaps a few hundred to perhaps a few thousand times more likely than your trusted eu compliant small electronics??

Funny how we don't worry about turning the fridge/freezer off each night :LOL:

I
i fully appreciate you concerns about any danger off fire but in general its only been tumble driers and fridges and the odd Chinese produced carp with batteries i have read about never ever any low powered gadgets from well trusted manufacturers who have to comply with very strict regulations in the uk under eu regulation i suspect the danger is far less than you think and at nearly 69 i have never heard off someone i know suffering from substantial damage from electronic equipment
now the reason i say substantial is because they may have had a fault that i am not aware off but was off such a level not worth a discussion
to be fair going out your front door will probably give you a level off danger perhaps a few hundred to perhaps a few thousand times more likely than your trusted eu compliant small electronics??
I *ran out of air reading that. :LOL:

One word, fella. Punctuation.

' * figuratively speaking

i fully agree my punctuation 'grammar 'composition 'spelin' ;) are all carp but my heart is in the right place

i do try but it doesn't come naturally because as a scot english was my second worst subject at school'with french being my worst
when i left school at the end off 1960 after 15 years in education the streams were straight to work 'technical collage 'or academic----- guess which route was dictated to me :cool:
;)

i fully agree my punctuation 'grammar 'composition 'spelin' ;) are all carp but my heart is in the right place

i do try but it doesn't come naturally because as a scot english was my second worst subject at school'with french being my worst
when i left school at the end off 1960 after 15 years in education the streams were straight to work 'technical collage 'or academic----- guess which route was dictated to me :cool:
;)
If you had 15 years of education with one of the next steps being college then I'm guessing you were held back a few years. Would that be right, or did you leave at 15 years of age like a lot of your peers?

I'm not questioning where your heart is. That's not even up for debate. All I'm suggesting is that you put yourself in the shoes of the reader(s) and read through what you've written before hitting the Post key. Read it out loud. Where you take a natural break, you know, because you've made a statement or explained a thought, then consider using a comma ( , ) for a short breath or a full stop for where you're moving on to a new thought. Think about it like trying to eat a sandwich It's easier in bites.

Here's what the first part of you post could have looked like. I've chunked it down in to more manageable bites. This makes it a bit easier to digest.

"I fully appreciate you concerns about any danger of fire. But in general it's only been tumble driers and fridges and the odd Chinese produced carp with batteries I have read about, never ever any low powered gadgets from well trusted manufacturers. They have to comply with very strict regulations in the UK under EU regulation. I suspect the danger is far less than you think. At nearly 69, I have never heard of someone I know suffering from substantial damage from electronic equipment."

Please keep on posting. All contributions are welcome. We're here to help those who ask questions, and so making that help easier to understand means a better result all round. After all, if you've taken the time and trouble to write it, wouldn't you want people to benefit from your knowledge? :giggle:(y)

Last edited:
Continuing in education was not an option as my father as an engine stoker (fireman) was put back cleaning locos'due to beeching cuts so a move to Redhill Surrey was on the cards within a year or so with a financial contribution from what ever job I could get was required

I joined the railway as a porter at perhaps 16 and progressed to the footplate a few months before my 18th and progressed through the ranks to driver at 22 in 1976

At no stage in my career was my grammar or written skills mentioned and it wasn't till I joined the screwfix forum sometime in the 90s I think it was apparent that my written words can be hard to understand lol

edit just check joined screwfix forum in 2004

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back