Is it okay to remove Exhaust heat shield? (Ford KA)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

Last week I was out in the Italian Wilderness in a dinky Ford KA (2001) - obviously not the most ideal off-road vehicle. After a few days of farm lanes and mountain tracks I noticed a metallic scratching / rattling sound from underneath and further investigation showed that the thin metallic heat shield that sits above the exhaust had been damaged and was now hanging off the exhaust and dragging along the ground.

I put up with it for a few days but eventually, after a brief consultation with a friend, decided to cut it off. I'm still in Italy at the moment, but come September I will be driving the KA back to the UK. My question is; Is it important that I get this heat shield replaced by a mechanic out here in Italy (at potentially inflated cost for a dumb foreigner like me), or can it wait until I get back to the UK? Will the lack of heat shield cause a problem on the marathon drive back through France and Switzerland?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
If it was my car (Ka) :p I'd certainly remove it - its only recently that cars have had them fitted, and indeed not all do. After a while they drop off anyway!
John :)

When prepping cars for track, I tend to remove all that gubbins. It will keep you a tad warmer in winter.... :D

The only thing to consider is what components it might have been protecting? Things behind it will rust more quickly with the added warmth.

check it's not near any of the bushes or fuel tank before you forget about it.

Sponsored Links
Back