Is it possibe to shorten a uPVC window?

N

NotSoFast

Is it possible to shorten a uPVC window? If so, who does this sort of work?

I'd like to shorten the window in the picture below to around where the handle is.

View media item 40728

Sponsored Links
Almost anything can be done so I would suppose that it would be possible. However, it would most likely be better to get a new window, after all you're going to have to get a new glass unit for it anyway as that definately can't be shortened.

suspect an alteration would far exceed the cost off a new one unless the arch is very very expensive

Sponsored Links
Totally agree with other answers, even "anything is possible", but in this case it is not practical to shorten this plastic window. The corner joints are welded and you will only be able to bodge together your recut joints and inevitably water will get in. You will not have the specially designed L brackets for doing mechanical joints so your joints will be poor. Sorry.

Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll be getting a new window then :D

Or take it out cut it where the arch starts and get a new window below it, save you a few bucks

Keep the arch in place,cut off the window below and add a 3mm jointing bar to the arch.

You will probably have to take the whole window out and cut off the frame square so it will take a jointing bar.

You will have to check for drainage holes and make one if the frame is not face drained...if it is then you won't have to worry.

Down side is :- where the new window meets the arch.You will have a lot of plastic as you will already have the bottom of the arch and then a new frame below plus plastic for an opener....unless the frame below is a fixed piece of glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back