Is it possible/ok to use both boiler thermostat and radiator thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hello everyone, greetings from The Netherlands.

I would like to get your suggestion on heating setup I would like to have in my rented house.

Please take in to account that I might be mixing some terms so please feel free to correct me or ask for clarifications.

I am living in 2 floor apartment with 4 rooms and the only room on the second floor is the bedroom. I have one of these Honeywell smart thermostat https://getconnected.honeywellhome.com/en/t6 (which I believe connect to the boiler - btw boiler uses gas and it's on the second floor) in the living room that controls the WHOLE house depending on the temperature in living room.

This is problematic for me because living room is quite big and I don't want to run heating during the night in living room (and also for the other rooms as well). However, if I do that, then room will be cold and heating for the other rooms (especially bed room) is going to run the whole night and is going to cook us :)

I would like to change/adjust this setup and use independent radiator thermostat. With my non-existing knowledge, my plan is to buy radiator thermostat and control the room temperature separately. For this to work, I need to set Honeywell smart thermostat to high temperature so it would keep the boiler ON (I am not sure what ON mean at this point. I would expect it to be like STANDBY and provide how water when it's needed) and individually radiators can request warm water when it's needed.

The part that I am not sure is that what does ON and OFF means for boiler when it's controlled by Honeywell smart thermostat. What happens if I really go and set the desired temperature to let's say 30 degrees and close all the radiators just to test it out. Would boiler do anything when there is no warm water request from any of the radiators? In reality, during the night only one radiator in bedroom would be running and rest would be off and I am not sure if this is something that would cause issue or damage the system.

I hope it's clear what I am trying to do. Please do let me know if you need any information. I will try to provide them as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Central heating is designed to heat the whole house, it takes into account the neighboring rooms being heated too. Trying to heat one room will never be very successful. I would suggest leave the heating on timed settings and just keep an electric oil filled radiator on in the bed room to heat that room at night.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back