using only 1 radiator that is not in same room as thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello we have our heating off in summer but would like to just have 1 radiator on which is a small room far from the living room where the thermostat is in order to dry clothes. please can ask what the implications are of turning all the radiators in the house off apart from the radiator in this room and turning up the thermostat so that the heating comes? i realise that the temperature in the living room would never rise to the temperature the thermostat has been set to but would this cause a problem and what are the implications and any other advise/comments?

Sponsored Links
have the other rads got trvs? if you turn them off all summer they will get stuck

Bit of a waste of energy to dry clothes to be honest, you can do it but why ?

Hung on an airer in a room with a window open they'll dry in the summer, if they cant be hung outside.

If it's warm enough to live without the heating on, you can dry clothes by providing ventilation. ( which you should do any way )

Sponsored Links
have the other rads got trvs? if you turn them off all summer they will get stuck
most have and the few that don't are the old style where there is a knob at one end that you can twist to turn them off. the radiator in the room needed to be heated has a trv. once the temperature in the room reaches the trv setting which would leave no radiators needing to be heated would the boiler still be working trying to get the temperature in the living room up? will the boiler be working and using money all the time?

will the boiler be working and using money all the time?
If the rad is getting warm, the boiler will be on; rads don't get warm without a boiler working. Therefore the answer to "will it cost money" is: of course it will.

will the boiler be working and using money all the time?
If the rad is getting warm, the boiler will be on; rads don't get warm without a boiler working. Therefore the answer to "will it cost money" is: of course it will.
but when the radiator in the drying room gets to the cut off set by the TRV will the boiler still be working because at that point all the other radators are off? sorry if i am not making myself clear.

..but when the radiator in the drying room gets to the cut off set by the TRV will the boiler still be working because at that point all the other radators are off? sorry if i am not making myself clear.
You are perfectly clear. Unless you have one of the rare boilers that turn themselves off when flow resistance goes over certain level, the boiler will always stay on irrespective of rads being open or shut. 99% of boiler do not "know" how many rads are open.

..but when the radiator in the drying room gets to the cut off set by the TRV will the boiler still be working because at that point all the other radators are off? sorry if i am not making myself clear.
You are perfectly clear. Unless you have one of the rare boilers that turn themselves off when flow resistance goes over certain level, the boiler will always stay on irrespective of rads being open or shut. 99% of boiler do not "know" how many rads are open.
thanks we have a brand new boiler which is a Remeha Avanta Plus you wouldn't happen to know if this boiler has this feature?

No idea, but the service and installation manual will tell you if it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back