Moving a Room CH Thermostat

Sorry to raise this again but I came home to find that the plumber has not only fitted the TRVs but also removed the room thermostat! The result seems to be that, as Stem has predicted, with all valves closed the boiler is still not switching off.
Of course the boiler will not switch off, there is nothing to tell it to switch off, that was the point of the room stat

Sponsored Links
Of course the boiler will not switch off, there is nothing to tell it to switch off, that was the point of the room stat
Just phoned and tried tell him that but he says that boiler stat will do that!

Just phoned and tried tell him that but he says that boiler stat will do that!
Wrong boiler thermostat cuts the burner off when the primary water inside the boilers heat exchanger, reache the temperature that the boiler thermostat is set at, when this water cools the boiler thermostat will fire the boiler again, and this cycle will continue , wasting gas and causing undue cycling of the boiler, hence the need for an electrical interlock to tell the boiler to stay off untill needed

Sponsored Links
I usually illustrate the principle by likening it to a car. It's like leaving the engine of the car running whilst the vehicle is parked outside your home with the handbrake on ready for when you next want to use it. In this condition, the engine is still consuming fuel, but no motion is actually required.

In your case the boiler is still running & consuming fuel [keeping itself and associated components (pump / pipes / valves etc.,) hot.] when there isn't actually a requirement for heat from the radiators.

Also, I believe that removing the room thermostat will be in contravention of the building regulation by removing the boiler interlock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back