Is it possible, safe and allowed to have the following light switch setup?

As there are two switches to operate, one may as well operate the accent and the other the main and fan.

However sophisticatedly it is wired, to change options two switches will have to be switched.

Sponsored Links
As there are two switches to operate, one may as well operate the accent and the other the main and fan. However sophisticatedly it is wired, to change options two switches will have to be switched.
Not really. Starting with 'everything off', with your separate switches one would have to operate both to get 'everything on' (i.e. the normal 'daytime functionality' required), whereas with the alternatives we've been discussing one would only have to operate the 'everything on' switch. I'm not sure that I would personally bother (i.e. I would probably do as you suggest), but I was attempting to answer the question the OP actually asked, as regards the functionality he said that he wanted.

Kind Regards, John

How about a 2-way switch. One side of 2-way switches Acc and Main lights, other side of 2-way switches Acc lights only which is then wired in series with a simple 1-way switch. So 1-way off and 2-way switched to Acc lights only = all lights off, but Acc lights can be switched on with 1-way switch. 2-way switch to Acc and main lights = all lights on.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't quite see how that would/could work - can you draw (or explain in more detail) what you mean?

Kind Regards, John
Second try:
two 2-way switches:
I 2-way live common, one side to main and Acc lights, but the Acc lights go to one side of other 2-way, of which common is switch wire to Acc lights.
Other side of first 2-way goes to Acc lights only, which goes to other side of second 2-way.

so first 2-way switched to main and acc lights, main only on unless second 2-way switched to allow acc lights also.

first 2-way switched to Acc lights only, and second switch to allow Acc lights on.
I'll try to draw it.

Not really. Starting with 'everything off', with your separate switches one would have to operate both to get 'everything on' (i.e. the normal 'daytime functionality' required), whereas with the alternatives we've been discussing one would only have to operate the 'everything on' switch.

That is true, (and as you say, not really worth the bother) because if you change your mind while in the room there is no advantage.

Sponsored Links
so first 2-way switched to main and acc lights, main only on unless second 2-way switched to allow acc lights also. ...
... isn't that the problem? As I understand it, the OP wants to be able to use the "main + acc" switch to switch both on (and both off), regardless of the position of the second switch?

Kind Regards, John

upload_2016-2-5_16-45-10.png

This would allow main lights only, also.

I don't think it's a tidy solution 'cos it might cause a bit of switch juggling at first.

That is true, (and as you say, not really worth the bother) because if you change your mind while in the room there is no advantage.
As I understand it, there is little/no liklihood of "changing your mind while in the room" - the OP wants to be able to use one switch during the day (to turn on all lights + fan) and the other switch in the middle of the night (just accent lights, and no fan). As I say, I've just been trying answer the OP's question, rather than arguing about the functionality he has asked for :)

Kind Regards, John

This would allow main lights only, also. I don't think it's a tidy solution 'cos it might cause a bit of switch juggling at first.
Yes, I suppose that would more-or-less do it. It might cause some confusion, because if the 'accent light only' switch were in the 'on' position, then switching the 'main+accent' switch 'on' would cause the accent lights to go out! The DP switch approach doesn't really have any such potential confusions!

Kind Regards, John

If it were me, I'd fit a 3-gang switch and control the main light, accent lights and fan all independently. It's simple, easy to use, and allows any permutation you might want (and as some will already know, I'm not a fan - no pun intended! - of having the fan controlled with the main light anyway).

However, to address one of the other possibilities suggested, one could custom-make a rotary control with a single-gang blank plate, a standard rotary switch and a suitable knob and hand-applied markings.
All that would be needed for the proposed arrangement is a 3-way switch with at least 2 poles, then:

Position 1 - Off
Position 2 - Accent lights
Position 3 - Accent & main lights plus fan

Or you could put off in the middle position:

Position 1 - Accent lights
Position 2 - Off
Position 3 - Accent & main lights plus fan

You could extend it to 4 ways with a 3-pole switch to have the option of having the main light on without the fan if you wished, e.g.:

Position 1 - Off
Position 2 - Accent lights
Position 3 - Accent & main lights
Position 4 - Accent & main lights plus fan

The basic 3-position option could also be done by finding a suitably styled DPDT center-off switch (white rocker perhaps?) and fitting to a blank plate.

However, to address one of the other possibilities suggested, one could custom-make a rotary control with a single-gang blank plate, a standard rotary switch and a suitable knob and hand-applied markings.
Sure, that would be the 'obvious' way to do it, but I thought I ought to stick to things available as 'off-the-shelf electrical accessories'.

I find it quite surprising that such accessories are so limited in their functionality - AFAIAA, one cannot even get DPDT switches (other than massive 'changeover switchgear' jobs - and, again AFAIA, the only 3-position switches around are those (I think only grid switches) with a 'centre off' position.

Kind Regards, John

You need lightwave rf wireless switching.

Programme the receivers to suit your configuration.

Simples

Off-the-shelf you could use a 2-gang 2-way switch to do it as follows:

Switch 1 (Everything):
Com to main light & fan
L1 to supply

Switch 2 (Accent lights only):
Com to accent lights
L1 to supply
L2 linked to Com of Sw. 1

Turning on the main light with switch 1 will then also make sure that the accent lights are on as well, regardless of whether they were already turned on or not with switch 2.

Isn't that what the OP was setting out to achieve?

Not really. Starting with 'everything off', with your separate switches one would have to operate both to get 'everything on' (i.e. the normal 'daytime functionality' required), whereas with the alternatives we've been discussing one would only have to operate the 'everything on' switch.

That is true, (and as you say, not really worth the bother) because if you change your mind while in the room there is no advantage.[/QUOTE

The pysical effort to press two switches together :giggle::giggle:…………

DS

PS

i always start with everything off before my bath, it works really well:)

DS

Off-the-shelf you could use a 2-gang 2-way switch to do it as follows: ...... Turning on the main light with switch 1 will then also make sure that the accent lights are on as well, regardless of whether they were already turned on or not with switch 2. .... Isn't that what the OP was setting out to achieve?
Yes - as with Himaginn's similar suggestion, that would more-or-less do it. It doesn't guarantee that switching 'off' switch 1 will always turn off the accent lights, but I doubt that would be a concern. The fact that it can be done with a standard light switch certainly makes it a more attractive (and cheaper) option than what I suggested.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back