Is it possible to alter this fireplace to have an open fire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house we're currently renovating has this fireplace and log burner
IMG_5801.jpeg

I know its not fashionable, but we'd really like an open fire and not a log burner. But we don't want to reinstate the existing fire insert and have a small victorian fireplace. What we want is something like this - a properly open roaring fire:

lPQt3s7bNc.jpg

So, is it simply a case of removing the insert, putting the surround and mantle back (and a new hearth too), making sure the chimney/brickwork etc is up to scratch, then using a freestanding grate in the opening? Or is it more complicated than that? Been googling like crazy but just can't seem to find anything that answers the question.

(and before someone tells me that an open fire isn't very efficient, we do know that. It won't be used very often, probably only at Christmas and to burn the odd bit of confidential paperwork. We have a well insulated centrally heated home that's already really warm, so we're finding the log burner is too hot!)

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I know its not fashionable
More than unfashionable, burning stuff that pollutes the air for others and covers the houses and gardens of neighbours in ash and soot is probably one of the most antisocial things you can do in a domestic setting these days

There should be a strive to ban most forms of small scale combustion outright; leave it to larger well engineered processes that will scrub the output to minimise its harmful effects

thanks for your comments. Totally not interested. We live in a rural setting so we don’t have neighbours to bother and as I said, it will barely be used so it’s mostly aesthetic. But you clearly feel the need to ignore the fact that I’d already explained that.

It all depends what's behind the insert, what size the builders opening is and if you want the exposed brick, what condition it is in.

In my house, we took a massive (and ruined) art deco fireplace out. After taking out the clay back and sand (they packed the gap between wall and insert with it), we found a massive 2x1foot opening, in good condition.

It was too big! Ended up fitting an iron insert much like yours...

I think you need to commit to find out and start smashing things. If the opening is too small, can be enlarged with a lintel.

If the brick work is poor (e.g., never designed to be on show) you can line it.

All depends on how much you want to spend

Sponsored Links
Really it depends on the chimney. It would need to be in good condition and provide sufficient updraft to allow for an open fire. Though log burners are much more practical, safer, more efficient etc so you're really going for a downgrade

Fingers crossed you do it though, it'll properly annoy Greta and her gang of churlish gap year kids.

@robinbanks is your aim just to come on here to ignore things people have outright stated (such as we don't light the fire more than a couple if times a year) and instead just be unhelpful and sarcastic? We drive an electric car (and drive very little), don't fly, have a highly insulated house and a heat pump boiler. So I can say pretty categorically my emissions are going to be considerably less than yours. I'm not sure why my lighting a fire once a year really troubles you so much? Your attitude really isn't welcome here, and certainly isn't going to achieve your apparent aim of changing my mind - if anything I'm more determined to go ahead now just to p*ss you off to be honest.

Bare in mind when you take the stove out your house will be less insulated than it currently is, you lose heat up an open fire even when it's not lit.

If you don't want to lose the heat, you could remove the stove and have it as an aesthetic fireplace, with a chimney balloon or similar.

Or could put in a different stove? I'm not a fan of those morso stoves

There is a bit of science involved in chimneys, and if the flue is too small for the fireplace opening and the throat and gather not properly formed you might get smoke coming back into the room.

I would say it's a bit more complicated unfortunately. You'd need to remove the existing Fireplace, then be prepared for a whole lot of mess behind it. Once that is all out and you have the Builders opening left, then you could see what will work with the space you have, but as said previously it is a bit more scientific that just lighting a fire, you would need to ensure the Chimney draws correctly to remove the smoke etc out the room, or you'll soon poison yourselves.

Work would also need to be signed off by a HETAS qualified Installer, for insurance purposes.

Nowt wrong with open fires and stoves. Mine run off timber sourced from sustainable woodland but largely just waste material from the furniture industry (i.e. off-cuts of beech and ash which the firms would otherwise have to pay a removal firm to dispose of). Better than burning gas and totally renewable.

I re-instated an open fire in our kitchen -- largely for the same reason you want one (aesthetics). The dampener can be closed when not in use so very little air is taken up the chimney when not in use, and although its vastly less efficient than the stove, it still gives out a great ambient heat which is all we're after with it. I'm presuming your house had an open fire originally, so if you can take the fireplace back to its original opening (the surround looks original) then that is was was designed and built for your property. I don't think the science behind the opening size/location would be a concern in your case.

It must be said though, I am replacing it with another stove next year so that we can have a more efficient and controlled burn (and so I can stick a kettle on the top). If you do remove the stove and the liner, you are gambling that the flue is in good condition and that the mid-feathers (bricks between each flue) are sound. If they're not and you have removed the liner, you will get smoke drawn into other flues and into the rooms not serviced by a stove or fire. I would honestly just stick with the burner.

Get an asbestos survey done first, just in case.

Personally I'd go for a new log burner or renovate the existing one. But can understand the desire for an open fireplace.

Do check with the local council re emissions, granted you don't have neighbors but it just takes some busybody to complain to the council.

don't think the science behind the opening size/location would be a concern in your case.
It could be if he want to do what is shown in the photo. The flue needs to be at least 15% of the fireplace opening size. A common problem with doing what is shown is that not all the smoke he's up the flue.

It could be if he want to do what is shown in the photo. The flue needs to be at least 15% of the fireplace opening size. A common problem with doing what is shown is that not all the smoke he's up the flue.

Yes the flue diameter needs to be of adequate size, plus -- the amount of air entering the room is also a huge factor. Without knowing the detail we can only speculate I suppose.

I'm just speculating and reckoning that it may not be an issue, given the fact a working fireplace looks to have stood there from new.

@cwhaley I think you're right, the fireplace looks original. The house has only had 2 owners and has been amazingly well looked after and everything is in remarkably good condition for a house 110 years old. I can see the brickwork behind the stove and its in very good condition indeed. The opening isn't particularly large however, so we certainly wouldn't get the sort of large fire in my illustration, it'd be a lot smaller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back