Fireplace Revamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have recently moved to a new house where the previous owner had self fitted a log burner and needless to say hadn't done a very good job of it. I have decided to remove the burner all together and open up the fireplace so that I can have a nice log/coal basket in the bottom to have an open fire. I have taken out the burner and replaced the lintel which again looked like a bodge job.
The inside of the original fireplace at some time has had another skin of bricks added for whatever reason I am unsure. I have however decided not to try and remove them as they are well and truly attached and are also cut into the brick hearth.
My question is whether once I put in the log/coal basket whether the bricks (which are not fire bricks, just general building bricks, I believe) will be fire resistant? Will they be fit for purpose? If not my other option is to line the fireplace with fire resistant board, but I would prefer to leave the bricks showing as look more aesthetically pleasing!
Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would put a fireplace insert in instead -- much better heat output than a basket. As for the heat resistance of the bricks how old is your house? If there was a fireplace there originally then you can normally assume it'll be fine, especially if the burning materials are sat on a grate within a fire. Also, you use backfill behind the insert which does keep heat away from the bricks.

If you really were set on a basket then just ensure the flue is swept and clean, ensure the sweep performs a smoke test to check the draw. I've no experience of installing them but from what I've seen in my local pubs, they burn all day long in the winter on what look like old, standard house bricks.

Last edited:
Thanks cwhaley, I kind of think the same as you that I have seen these type of fires in pubs/restaurants and they only seem to have house bricks in them. The chimney sweep is booked in and I have asked him to pop his camera up there as well just to make sure it all looks in order before I burn anything. I do agree with you about the fireplace inserts but we have a burner and an insert in other rooms and fancied something a bit different this time.

Sponsored Links
That's your best bet -- I think having a conversation with the sweep would be good. They will be able to see it first-hand and offer their verdict based on the fireplaces they have seen over time. When I first put my open fire (back) in I was daunted by the amount of regulation which although necessary and very important, can cloud your ability to see the 'common sense' approach.

Fire baskets are in many ways (including in terms of regulations) the simplest way of achieving heat through burning materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back