Is it possible to put a lock on this site box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to put a site box in my garage which is then chained to wall for extra security. I found this for £50 in local auction/scrap yard. Bit bigger would be better (it's only 90cm long)
20210614_095040.jpg
for gardening stuff but this will take carpentry power tools.

Can i fit a new lock on it and drill holes through back to chain it to wall?
20210614_093610.jpg

Attachments

• 20210614_093453.jpg
    20210614_093453.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 106
Sponsored Links
Drill through the bottom and bolt it down with 4 no. resin anchors (probably saying that because I always seem to have access to them) and put rubber washers and mudguard/penny/repair washer on the studs to seal the holes (or silicone afterwards). You can get heavy duty weldable hasps and staples from any decent locksmith or traditional ironmonger (the few that are left)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Keitai?

TBH I don't know if Van Vaults use a hook type mortise lock or not, but it may be possible to simply replace the lock. It depends on how the lock is installed. Some lock boxes have the lock or locks welded inside a welded box, others have the lock screwed to a welded box (on the inside of the box)

Last edited by a moderator:
Drill through the bottom and bolt it down with 4 no. resin anchors (probably saying that because I always seem to have access to them) and put rubber washers and mudguard/penny/repair washer on the studs to seal the holes (or silicone afterwards). You can get heavy duty weldable hasps and staples from any decent locksmith or traditional ironmonger (the few that are left)

I wanted to attach it to something in a way that's easy to unlock e.g a chain from box to wall or floor so I can move the box ( if needed) but while locked difficult. If it's permanently bolted to the floor and I wanted to move it that's a problem. I was thinking of putting weights in bottom to prevent two guys picking it up but I could unlock it take the weights out and move it for example.

I was thinking of putting weights in bottom to prevent two guys picking it up but I could unlock it take the weights out and move it for example.
It won't work. Two big lads can lift 150kg between them...

you could cut two holes in the box to thread a motorcycle security chain through. Add a big bit of steel inside to add strength
Or cut a slot and fit a D shaped handle poking out, welded inside to a bigger plate
Almost anything made can be cut given enough time.

if you can drill through bottom and into the floor, you can bolt it down.

edit
too slow

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back