Site box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Purchased this site box for £70 from local scrap/auction place. Bought a lock, chain and ground anchor thing and three new keys (different locks either side so need two different keys).

The chain to run through underside bit where pallet truck sticks its forks.

To steal anything you would have to be quietish due to location near flats.

There are two side locks on garage door and I got a motion detector which calls my phone.

I guess it's impossible to steal my tools now?

Also, I heard it's important to not lay tools on concrete or I guess metal or they rust (cold attracts water)so I put thin ply on bottom, should I glue some around sides too?

20211001_131743.jpg
20211001_132533.jpg
20211001_132707.jpg
20211001_132853.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A portable angle grinder is the thieves best friend so make sure the ground anchor and chain is as inaccessible as possible......maybe even inside if such a thing is possible.
You may find that fuel leaking from petrol tools makes a mess of everything else, and by all means ply line the thing if you want. It's not a bad move to keep everything sprayed with WD40 or whatever.
John :)

I have some large bars used for demolition and for breaking out concrete formwork (their real purpose). Recently one of the lads locked himself out of his site vault having lost all his keys. It took him under 3 minutes to burst both the locks and get in (OK he's a big guy, and he was using my 5ft bar). Chains can be dealt with silently the old fashioned way - with bolt cutters.

So i'd say only have boxes as a secondary security

I have some large bars used for demolition and for breaking out concrete formwork (their real purpose). Recently one of the lads locked himself out of his site vault having lost all his keys. It took him under 3 minutes to burst both the locks and get in (OK he's a big guy, and he was using my 5ft bar). Chains can be dealt with silently the old fashioned way - with bolt cutters.

So i'd say only have boxes as a secondary security

The guy in my local lock shop said you couldn't get through the chain with bolt cutters only angle grinder- that would be too noisy for thieves due to location of my garage I think. Hope he's right. Also the box is really heavy to move.

Did he get the bar into the box and force the lid open? Dont really know how he did it. Secondary solution, what's your first solution?

It's a deterrent. I dont think thieves would want to stick around in my garage. There's only one way to get out of my block of flats. It's on a hill and 20 metres from people's flats

Are these in photo what your big workmate used to wrench it open? I leave mine just in entrance of garage
20211003_110318.jpg
20211003_111011.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A portable angle grinder is the thieves best friend so make sure the ground anchor and chain is as inaccessible as possible......maybe even inside if such a thing is possible.
You may find that fuel leaking from petrol tools makes a mess of everything else, and by all means ply line the thing if you want. It's not a bad move to keep everything sprayed with WD40 or whatever.
John :)
I've got gardening tools and carpentry stuff. I guess could get oil leaking onto the dewalt woodworking stuff including chop saw. I guess only put woodworking stuff on top

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back