1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

is it possible?

Discussion in 'Building' started by markyyyyyy, 2 Mar 2020.

1. markyyyyyy

markyyyyyy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

this is my kitchen in the house i am buying- I don't like to chimney breast as i like everything to be flush. Is it possible for builders to remove the chimney breast up to ceiling height, and put in a lintel?

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 15.32.10.png

This means that when i fit a new kitchen i have a straight wall to work with.

The chimney goes up through both levels of the house, and because i am a mid terrace, there is someones house the other side of the wall.

Thanks.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Alastairreid

Alastairreid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If the breast is removed where would the lintel go.
    Google gallow brackets.

4. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    yes you can get rid of it.....possibly

to make it disappear, it may require a steel or 2 running full width of kitchen up inside the ceiling void
    it needs structural engineer and building regs

it depends how deep your pockets are. You could be looking at £3-£4k (guesstimate)

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local