Is it safe to disturb compression joints?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this isn't a noob question but I need to move around some 15 mm piping in the bathroom, is it safe to disturb and re-tighten the compression joints or do I need to redo any disturbed joints with new olives?

Hopefully I don't need to redo the joints as cutting off the olives would mean installing new pipework but I also cant afford to take risks as the floor will shortly be tiled over.

Sponsored Links
Use some boss white etc if you find they leak after you have put the joints back together. :D

Personally I would never leave compression fittings under a tiled floor. They are more likely to leak that a solder joint and you need to be able to get to them if they do leak...

rip out the compression joints and replace... you may thank me one day!

Personally I would never leave compression fittings under a tiled floor. They are more likely to leak that a solder joint and you need to be able to get to them if they do leak...

rip out the compression joints and replace... you may thank me one day!

I sort of agree however I have had probs in the past with soldered joints whereby I cant get a good join to an exisiting long length of pipe even if the water has been emptied. It's as if the pipe is sinking away the heat. Unless of course my blowtorch is too weedy!

Sponsored Links
try some Soldering tips.

Good point from LD and it might pay you to get a pro in to do the joints if you are still not confident with soldering. :D

I'm pretty confident with soldering but as I'm only a diyer I am a little out of practice. Saying that my joints are usually very neat as I do go over the top, they're certainly a lot better than whoever did the central heating.

I do tend to agree with the soldered joints, compression joints can be a bit delicate and prone to leaking if moved around...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back