is it safe to insulate underneath the dishwasher?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our built-in dishwasher is beside the sink unit in the kitchen and there is a fair breeze from under the dishwasher sometimes. I have a spare bit of 200mm fibreglass insulation I want to put in under the dishwasher but the wife reckons it'll be a fire hazard. Has anybody else done this or do you know if it'd be safe or not please? Cheers

Sponsored Links
fibreglass is not inflammable.

It will however melt and disappear in a fire.

You should not encase electrical cables in insulation, but it's OK if it is uncovered on at least one side.

Better to find out where the breeze emanates, dishwashers certainly don't create them.

I wouldn't block any space under the appliance, it may well need a small airflow to cool the components. Pull it out and trace the source of the draught as foxhole says. Chances are its a gap in the floorboards or around the pipes.

Regards,
footprints

Sponsored Links
I had the idea you meant to pack the space under the floorboards, which would be fine :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back