Is it saw dust and how to get rid of it after laminating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a medical condition and am highly sensitive to synthetic and organic fumes. I cannot tolerate smells(toxins) from new carpets, varnishes, vinyl, paint etc. I also react to dust in older carpets.

I got some second hand laminate(so there would be no smell) and have laid that down as it would have gassed off and dust could be controlled. However the room currently stinks like hell of wood(maybe saw dust) and has put me in stitches.

This is a real problem for me right now(can't stay at home) and I need to get rid of it. How do I do this and is this something that can be removed in a day or likely to go on for weeks, months?
Please let me know so that I can make alternative accommodation arrangements if need be.

Please give ideas however I really need something that will work so please give your source for saying it will work aswell.

Many thanks.

btw, instead of beading I just put duck tape to trap particles in the edge however the smell is strong all over and I'm guessing its not just

Sponsored Links
look for an ionising air purifier or two. It takes even the finest particles out of the air (some will get caught in the machine's filter, and some will clumptogether and fall to the floor around it as a shadow of fine dust, which you can sponge away.

They are sold under the Flixonase and Lloyds Chemist brand names, and there may still be overstock on ebay.

I presume you are damp-mopping and damp-sponging, and that you have a vac with a microfilter, and that you are opening the windows so that any fumes can escape? Is that right?

The air purifiers you mentioned are quite cheap. How exactly would the work? I take it I need to disturb the walls, floor and the dust will go into the air after which it will be trapped into the machine? if so wouldn't simple ventilation be able to transport the dust outside?

Yes I have been mopping with a slightly damp cloth and I do have a vac with mico filter. Am wondering if the vac is working as I notice the dust level gets higher, maybe comes out of the vacuum again.

Anyway how long to get rid of this, any idea? Its causing me breathing problems and all sorts.

thanks.

the purifiers are placed in the room. they contain a small, almost silent fan, which circulates the room air through the device, where an electric ionising charge is applied to it.

It seems to work like static electricity on a TV, making the tiny particles clump together and fall out of the air, or to be trapped in the device. When first used, you will see the dirt and particles collecting on the floor or wall around the device. You can then wipe it up with a damp sponge, it will not fly up into the air again like dry dusting.

Sponsored Links
1. Do you know why mopping alone hasn't done the job? Surely a slightly damp mop would remove all dust on surfaces and not allow it to go up?

2. For the filter to catch the dust, I need to get the dust into the air first. How do I do this e.g. do I just hoover around and hope it goes up into the air?

3. I also notice it's gone to the rest of my flat(it is a small 1 bedroom flat). Do I have to go and clean all the other rooms aswell?

4. I didn't put any beading down and just put duck tape over it. Should I remove the duck tape and try to hoover those edges up, might that be the source of the problem?

5. How long before the smell will go?

thanks

the purifier will catch particles that are floating around in the air. If they aren't, you can't breathe them. You leave them running all the time, permanently. You will be gratified to see how dirty they get with captured particles.

I don't know where the new particles are coming from

you seem to believe that the hepa filter on your vac does not work. Perhaps examine and clean the vac and filter, fit new filter, consider buying a better one. See how your current one rates for dust in exhaust in the Which tests (you can read them free at your local library). Miele are exceptionally good. White synthetic vac bags seem to be better than brown paper ones. If necessary, you can buy new filters online http://www.dustbag.co.uk/?i=Search+Results&type=&s=filter
your vac may have two or three filters.

If you are prone to air particle problems, yes, you need to damp-sponge, hepa-vac and put an air purifier in every room. I have at times used dust masks when conditions have been bad. I vac floors and gaps before laying flooring.

If your home is damp, e.g. from wet washing draped around or poor ventilation, there may be condensation and mould.

I haven't noticed a smell from laminate, unless perhaps yours have glue on them.

John, thank you for your replies. I would be grateful if you could answer the following:

1. you say air filters need to be on permanently. won't this send the elec bill through the roof? I used to use elec heaters for many hours a day and that cost me a few hundred pounds on elec over a few months.

2. just to be sure I get the right air purifier, can you show me one online, cheaper the better but must work. the room in question is about 17m2 floor space.
do you have to leave home windows open when running an air filter?

3. my laminate flooring has slight gaps in which maybe saw dust has fallen. I notice that my vac doesn't always do a good job of sucking visible dust up so perhaps any dust underneath hasn't come up. if a new vac doesn't do it, will the only solution be filling the gaps with say silicone or something.

thanks

they look like this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Purif...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item258c77d5b0
Mostly are branded Flixonase or Lloyds chemist. The fan is a little one like inside a PC PSU and costs approximately nothing per hour to run. Search for Ionising Air Purifier. There were some available as overstock at low prices, and you might find slightly used ones available. Close the door and window or it will try to cleanse the world.

If your vac is no good, get a new one unless you have no money. Miele is unsurpassed but there are some other good ones at lower prices. A good vac will suck out cracks and gaps. If you see black dust marks where dirt is blowing in, you can seal it.

Clean daily. Remember lampshades.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi John

I would be grateful if you could answer the following:

1) I have bought the air purifier that you listed and have noticed it does not mention it has a hepa filter. Since what I seem to be dealing with is seemingly invisible(perhaps microscopic particles), is this one not suitable and should I not get one with a hepa filter?

2)If a vacuum with a hepa vacuum, damp mop all surfaces and leave the windows open, how long would you expect before the dust is gone? If all surfaces have been wiped surely all small dust particles would have been picked up. Is this something that goes on for a day, week, or months?

3) I take it unlike dust mites saw dust does not multiply, therefore it can only get lower and lower as I clean and will not increase, is that correct?

Thanks

1) the ionising purifier works by making the tiny particles "sticky" so that they cling together, and to nearby surfaces such as walls. To me it seems like the same way that static electricity attracts dust. If you stand it on an easily-cleaned surface such as a kitchen worktop, you will see tiny particles settling out of the air in a pool of fine dirt (so don't put it on or beside a surface that is not easily cleaned). The filter is only for large particles. After a couple of weeks, I found that the rate of dust deposit slowed. It doesn't need a HEPA filter.

2) I reckon that if you use the vacuum crevice tool on the gaps, you will soon get most of it out. Draughts may blow more out of gaps, e.g. under skirting, but you will keep reducing it. The HEPA filter, and the ionising purifier, will reduce particles blowing around in the air. Sometimes there is dust on top of lampshades, bookshelves etc that you will need to find and clean up. Also inside computer cases and TVs. You can get a fan and filter for the computer case. Bedrooms and bathrooms are especially dusty, with exfoliated skin which dustmites feed on, cotton particles from towels, and, I'm told, paper fibres from loo roll. In dusty conditions I find it helps to use a tumble drier, as it shakes dust out of your clothes and bedding, and wash hair after dusty work.

3) yes, unless draughts are bring it in, e.g. from under the floor.

Hi John

I have been trying some of the above but cannot somethings e.g. the ioniser didn't make any dust appear on the floor for wiping. I don't really wait around for weeks for this to resolve because my sensitivities are so bad that I am actually having to live with away from home.

Today I placed the carpet over the new floor and realised that the smell of wood dust had reduced to gone. However I could smell the natural dust In the carpet. Do you think the carpet dust is masking the wood dust or did the carpet block the wood dust from the floor?

The thing is that I had covered the gaps in the laminate with duck tape and had also mopped the floor 3 times. Why then didn't the smell of wood dust go however now that I have covered it with the carpet I smell no wood dust but only normal dust which seems to be from the carpet?

Any ideas? Tbh I just want to a quick fix so I can move back to my flat. Is it the case that wood dust is present throughout the whole floor and all surfaces need to be covered with duck tape including the main(non edge) parts of the laminate?

Thanks.

I'd expect it to hoover up over time, especially if, for the carpets, you use an upright with beaters. The hose tool is better for hard flooring. The vacuum is very much your friend, especially if it has a white bag and a HEPA filter. Each time you change the bag, that half a kg of dust gone.

Most likely the carpet is just blocking the floor dust.

If you have left the purifier running, I think you will see the dust marks after a few days. For example, if you leave a glass next to it on the table or worktop, you will find a clean ring when you lift it up.

If you are really troubled by the dust when working there, get some disposable dust masks (the sort with a plastic valve on the snout). I use them for dusty conditions, e.g. lofts and plaster or woodworking dust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back