Type of saw for laminate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my question is what type of saw should I use to fit a fair amount (most of a 2 bed house) of laminate flooring please?

For the first room I:
# Started with a hand saw and soon go tired.
# Moved on to one of those black n decker electric saws but the laminate soon blunts the blades.
# Used a jig saw but this is a pain for cutting a lot of straight edges and slow.
# Have bought a circular saw but it doesn’t look particularly accurate or safe and I think it’s going to make a mess of the ends of the boards (haven’t tried it yet though).

I’m running out of saw types, lol! Would a small to medium band saw be suitable? This looks like it would give quick straight cuts and also allow me to quickly do the fiddly bits round doors and pipes, etc.
Something like this http://www.screwfix.com/prods/81526/Power-Tools/Power-Saws/Record-Power-BS250-245mm-Bandsaw
Or is that a non no? Any advice much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
To do mine I bought a cheap sliding mitre saw from B&Q, lasted long enough to do the job - I just need to change the blade.

Bandsaw wont really give you straighter cuts than anything else. Did mine with a decent Jigsaw. As Mattylad said, a sliding mitre (or a big non sliding one) is the way to go if you want to speed the process up.

Aye. another vote for a mitre saw. Mine has done about 8 rooms so far. Could do with a blade change now, but its still good for cutting up rough wood.
The fiddly bits, by nature don't get done quickly.....cos they're fiddly :LOL: . But i just use a jigsaw or coping saw for small non linear bits.

Sponsored Links
Just layed a laminate in my dining room and did it with a normal saw - no problems whatsoever. Just make sure you don't saw the laminate face up.

Great, thanks for all the info. Sorry for the late reply I have been away for work - need to take whatever I get can these days.

Sounds like a sliding mitre saw is the best choice for fast progress with a normal or jig saw for the fiddley bits.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back