Is it the old airlock problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I discovered that my downstairs cloakroom radiator was heated via the hot water circuit. When an extension was built before I bought the house the room next to the cloakroom had a radiator fitted fed from the cloakroom radiator pipes. The rad never worked correctly so I changed both on to main CH circuit, following the advise on here. The new radiator and cloakroom radiator worked really well off the main central heating system. Unfortunately I have run into another problem, hopefully one that someone with experience will be able to help with. Whilst I was partially drained down I decided to remove my bedroom radiator and as I will be decorating the room in the not toodistant future and putting in a new rad I shortened the 15mm supply pipes to the old rad. and capped them with full bore lever valves (to save draining down when I fit new rad). These two 15mm supply pipes came off 22/15/15 tees with the other 15mm pipes going down into the lounge to feed one of the rads in there. This lounge rad now does not heat up - I cant fathom out why, the 22mm feed pipe to the tee hardly gets warm. The other rad in the lounge fed exactly the same but from under another bedroom, no problem. Also the rad in the hall hardly gets warm but the supply pipe to it is very hot but no heat coming out of the return off the rad. I bled all the upstairs rads and the appropriate ones downstairs. I have completely shut down the supply and return valves on the new leg I created and still nothing. Any ideas gratefully received!!

Sponsored Links
Sorry does this help?

I discovered that my downstairs cloakroom radiator was heated via the hot water circuit. When an extension was built before I bought the house the room next to the cloakroom had a radiator fitted fed from the cloakroom radiator pipes.

The rad never worked correctly so I changed both on to main CH circuit, following the advise on here. The new radiator and cloakroom radiator worked really well off the main central heating system. Unfortunately I have run into another problem, hopefully one that someone with experience will be able to help with.

Whilst I was partially drained down I decided to remove my bedroom radiator and as I will be decorating the room in the not too distant future and putting in a new rad I shortened the 15mm supply pipes to the old rad. and capped them with full bore lever valves (to save draining down when I fit new rad). These two 15mm supply pipes came off 22/15/15 tees with the other 15mm pipes going down into the lounge to feed one of the rads in there.

This lounge rad now does not heat up - I cant fathom out why, the 22mm feed pipe to the tee hardly gets warm. The other rad in the lounge fed exactly the same but from under another bedroom, no problem. Also the rad in the hall hardly gets warm but the supply pipe to it is very hot but no heat coming out of the return off the rad.

I bled all the upstairs rads and the appropriate ones downstairs. I have completely shut down the supply and return valves on the new leg I created and still nothing.

Any ideas gratefully received

dolph, obviously works, for the inland revenue.

yep, I agree with softus. unreadable, and a bit of brevity would help. I dread to think what your cv is like.

:cry:

edit, jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

he did it. i think,.

Sponsored Links
If you open those lever valves do you get water out?

If you shut off all rads except the problematic ones, do they then get warm?

Thanks Softus, I will try that tomorrow. I take it that will either show there is an airlock and/or move it.

Whilst on could you explain something for me; I had a open gravity system which I understood where the air went, upwards and out. This was rplaced 3 years ago. I now have a sealed system (not combi), how does the air exit out of this, will it settle in a rad. eventually?

For our third reich poster, if you cant read my second posting I can only put it down to English not being your first language. This probably explains the lack of grammar in your attempt at humour, pity it was also too late! (Remember stones and glasshouses)

dolph said:
Thanks Softus, I will try that tomorrow. I take it that will either show there is an airlock and/or move it.
Yup.

I now have a sealed system (not combi), how does the air exit out of this, will it settle in a rad. eventually?
If it's decently designed and installed then there will be vents at strategic locations. Over time, even a clean system may suffer a small amount of corrosion, releasing Hydrogen that collects in rads, but a well-installed system will go for years without a hint of air or gas appearing in the system.

Softus done as you suggested. Opened the valves, yes water does come out.

Shut down all of the system except the two offending rads. One would expect rapid warming up of these but this did not happen. After about 15 minutes warmth has made its way to the lounge rad. but not hot and the return valve on the rad still remains cold. Exactly the same with the hall rad.

Softus, many thanks, turned off system completely, waited for an hour turned back on. Immediately there was a loud gurgling noise and then like running water in lounge rad and it heated up. Opened up hall rad same again gurgling etc.

Just one little question, now airlocks has moved where has the air gone? Will I have to do something in the future like vent rads once everything has settled down.

Again many thanks, if I could buy you a drink I would, please accept this cyber pint!!!

The rad you have taken out is obviously at a high point and acts as an air bleed point. The air is there because you drained down the system, you let some air out when you opened the valves. You may need to let some more air out at the high point (the valves).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back