is it the software?

U

ukdan

Hi. I wonder if any of you guys can help me. I've been posting a problem in the hardware section (ram problem) and i thought i had it sorted but my problem is still here. The problem being, briefly, i bought a new hard drive and a 1gb stick of memory. Now my system just freezes after so long and i have to turn it off at the wall. I reconfigured my hard drive and the problem seemed to go away. How wrong i was!! I left the pc on overnight and all day and its been fine until this afternoon. Now i'm thinking i may have a software conflict. I can't even restore the system back a few days cos it won't let me. What can i do now?

Sponsored Links
Works fine with the old memory. This is a replacement stick from the supplier and they both do the same thing. T he supplier said there is nothing wrong with the stick i took back and he's using it in another system. Is there a program anywhere that i can use to check for software conflicts?

Sponsored Links
LOL at gcol. The motherboard is a MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6701 and memory is hynix. The label on the memory says "ATA (TG) 200406-7239-1gb 400" Does this mean anything?

I think that memory should be ok with your motherboard. I'm assuming that it's PC3200 (ddr400)?
Have you tried the hardware test again with this new stick?
If you put the old memory back in and it works then it does suggest that the new memory is at fault. I'd take it back and buy some Crucial memory instead.
It does sound memory is at fault here, but my second guess would be the power supply not kicking out enough juice.

I've got 2 x 512 in at the moment and it seems to be stable enough. I just can't figure out why the 1gig stick is freezing, even after all the help and advice i've been given on here. Ah well, I'll just smooth talk the owner of the 512 stcks to see if he'll swop. Maybe he'll have more luck than me with the 1 gig. Cheers for all your help. There's some very clever people on here.

If running latest OS I would find that at least 2Gb of memory should make the system stable. Depends if memory is also shared with graphics, if so an extra graphics card would help here as it would reduce the main processor/memory loading.

Hmm, why does google return nowt but this thread for that memory module?
Are you sure you got the numbers right?

Was gonna say "1gb.. Isn't that awfully small for a pocket calculator these days!"

Sponsored Links
Back