is it time to replace my boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a house one year ago with a gloworm compact 100e combi boiler. It was installed in Oct 2000. Its been trouble free up to now. The other day I could not get hot water from the taps (central heating ok) so called a plumber. He has advised me that the heat exchanger is blocked and will need replacing. With a service and labour I am looking at @£350. My question is how much life can I expect out of this type of boiler. Will I now be chasing good money after bad (maybe the pump will go next week) and would I be better off spending money on a new boiler now like a veissmans condensing boiler. He can do it with a five year guarantee.

Sponsored Links
My advice, if you are staying put in the house, is to replace it. Opinions may vary depending on who answers, like any internet forum.

If the HE is blocked, you'll definitely need a Powerflush.

The Viessmann 200 combi is significantly better made than the UK only 100 unit. Worth paying the extra or looking at a Vaillant ecoTEC.

Just replace it for the money it's going to cost you. Vailant good, also Alpha boilers are good, they will give you a 5yr guarante.

Thanks for good advice guys. Its really helped me make up my mind to replace boiler.

Sponsored Links
Ok then I'll argue.
If it's limescale, it might clean out quite easily and cost you less than £100.
It might just be a flow restrictor which has failed, and can be binned.
System-side problems which need flushing, don't stop the water coming out of the tap.
8 years isn't really old for this sort of boiler.

I would advise a Worcester Bosch combi, a magnaclean to protect heating circuit, a combimate to protect hot water circuit and a powerflush before its all fitted ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back