Which is the best (ie most reliable) boiler brand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Going to be replacing my boiler soon - standard boiler for central heating and HW tank. Just want to update to a High Efficiency condensing boiler - ie not move to a Combi.

Was thinking of either a Worcester 24 ri or else a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 418 or 428.

What are Worcester and Vaillant like as brands? - they do seem a little more expensive but are they the best?.

Had a Gloworm combi compact 80e in my old house and it seemed a bit poor - required expensive repairs when it was only about 5 years old and was constantly leaking apparantly due to a design flaw....

Current boiler is a Gloworm 50e, which I believe is 25 years old!. Still going strong but I don't think it is very efficient somehow!....

Cheers,

Rob

Sponsored Links
Personally I only fit Vaillant boilers, good after sales service ifyou are unlikely to need them. Heat exchangers made from stainless steel, longer life.

No doubt others will have different views and boiler choices. You get what you pay for.

Everyone has his own idea!

Whats the best car?

The question is really just as irrelevant.

Worcester Greenstars and Vaillant Ecotecs seem to be many installer's favourites at the moment. Both will go wrong and parts are expensive.

In three years time one or both might have developed frequent faults but so far they seem to be fairly reliable.

Its the installation on a clean system thats much more important than the brand name on the boiler.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Yes, your most important purchase is a Magnaclean or Boiler Buddy, whatever you attach to that should see you proud.

If I were in the market for a boiler today I would ask for a Band A boiler to start with.

Paul Barker said:
Yes, your most important purchase is a Magnaclean or Boiler Buddy, whatever you attach to that should see you proud.

If I were in the market for a boiler today I would ask for a Band A boiler to start with.
I think Alpha boilers are fantastic :confused: Wouldnt touch em with a barge pole myself but Paul will fill you in

:D :D

pannierstan said:
Paul Barker said:

I think Alpha boilers are fantastic :confused: Wouldnt touch em with a barge pole myself but Paul will fill you in

But he did not even mention Alfa boilers!!!

Were you reading his mind?

By the way dont mess with Paul! He is totally over qualified for this work. When he listed his qualifications he even missed out the one he says is more relevant to boiler repairs, his Amateur Radio Certificate!

Paul Barker said:

Or just a very well done Chemical jet flush prior and good doe of a quality Inhibitir after and there is no muck in the system to warrent a Magnaclean.

Or just a very well done Chemical jet flush prior and good doe of a quality Inhibitir after and there is no muck in the system to warrent a Magnaclean.

Fernox say you can get "up to 80%" of the crud out.
It's the 20 that bothers me... :confused: :(

My parants combi went in about 13 years ago, I flushed the system myself and it doesnt have a Magnaclean....It had 2 litres of inhibitor added at install and 2 litres about 4 years ago. The 20% really doesnt seem to have done too much damage does it.

I dont fit them as my own experiance of them is that they are not worth it. I flushed a really badly fouled system about 2 years ago using deposit remover , inhibited and left it at that. Went I popped back a week later to fit a new digistat the customer had correctly fitted a magna clean. I went a year later to do a service and removed the cartride to clean (he stated it had never been out) I put it straight back again as there was nothing to clean.

I just find them a cure to the symptoms but not a cure to the real fault. The magna clean does not pickup everything and regular mainataince is required where as a proper chemical flush will solve the problem without need for further mainatance.....can you see a 75 year old widow happily removing the filter for cleaning without panicking over it?

Agile said:
pannierstan said:
Paul Barker said:

But he did not even mention Alfa boilers!!!

Were you reading his mind?

By the way dont mess with Paul! He is totally over qualified for this work. When he listed his qualifications he even missed out the one he says is more relevant to boiler repairs, his Amateur Radio Certificate!
Tony have you had a humour bypass. I was having a laugh with Paul after a previuos thread!
And by the way you werent involved in that thread which is a rare occurence!

Stan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back